Do I need a permit?

There are many situations where you may require a planning permit, a building permit or both. 

  • Planning permits give permission to use or develop land in a particular way. 
  • Building permits give permission to build a type of structure.

It is important to confirm which permit/s are required and ensure you obtain them prior to starting work.

When is a planning permit required?

Planning rules are complex. Therefore it is not possible to provide a simple answer as to when a planning permit is required.

You may need a planning permit to:

  • Construct a building
  • Alter or extend a building
  • Subdivide land
  • Remove or lop vegetation
  • Display business signage
  • Use premises with a liquor licence
  • Change what land is used for
  • Demolish a building in a heritage area
  • End or amend a restriction or Section 173 Agreement on your title

This list provides examples only. If you are changing the use of land (e.g. opening a business) or undertaking development (e.g. extending your house), you should check with Council to see if a planning permit is required.

Check the planning scheme, zones and overlays

Permit requirements are set out in the Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme. Many of these requirements are specified in the zone and overlay controls within the planning scheme.

All land is in a planning zone, and may also be in one or more planning overlays. You can check which zone and overlays your property is in at the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action.

The zone determines what land can be used for. It will list uses that do not require a permit, uses that require a permit, and uses that are prohibited. The zone also sets out permit requirements for developing the land.

Overlays apply additional planning controls to land. For example, a heritage overlay sets out additional permit requirements to protect heritage. Your property may not have any overlays, or may have one or more overlays. 

In addition to these requirements, a permit may also be required for other works/uses such as signage, sale of liquor, home based businesses, or removal/lopping of native vegetation

Check your title

You should obtain a complete and current copy of your title (available at Landata) to check if any easements, restrictive covenants or Section 173 Agreements are registered on your title. These must be checked carefully as they can restrict how you are able to use and develop your land.

Need assistance?

If you are not familiar with the planning system it can be difficult to determine whether a planning permit is required.

We are happy to assist, please:

Apply now

If you are ready to apply, or would like more information on the application process, visit Apply for a planning permit.

When is a building permit required?

A building permit is required if you want to undertake any type of building works on your property. This includes new buildings, additions, alterations and demolition works. The table below lists common types of works and outlines if you need to apply for a permit before you begin. There are certain exemptions outlined in The Building Regulations 2018 for certain building works. Please contact the building department to clarify if a building permit is required.

You need a building permit if you want to:

If you are unsure if a permit is required, contact our Building department on (03) 5422 0333.

If you are ready to apply or would like more information, see: Building Permit application process