Can I build on this land?

Planning advice for building a new dwelling on vacant land 

You must apply for a planning permit if you want to build a dwelling on vacant land. This is subject to the planning zones and overlays of the property that may limit what you do.

A property report can provide information about any restrictions on the land. For more details, see: Property and parcel search.

We recommend that you obtain a property report to find out if there are any restrictions on the land that may limit what you can do and contact our Planning unit on (03) 5422 0333 to discuss your plans. One of our planners will provide you with advice about any permit/s you should apply for, or if a permit isn’t required, how you apply for consent to carry out your proposed works.

Building a second dwelling or other building on your property

It is important that any new buildings or additions to existing buildings on your land comply with the Building Code of Australia.

If you want to build a second dwelling or other type of building (e.g. shed, carport, garage or studio), you may need to apply for a planning or building permit. In some cases where are permit is not required, you must still obtain consent from Council before commencing any works.

Changing the use of a building

Did you know that you need a building permit if you are changing the use of an existing building? If you’re thinking of converting a carport into a new room, a dwelling into a shop, office or bed and breakfast, or the rear of a shop or a shed into a dwelling, you may need a permit.

When changing the use of a building, we need to consider whether the changes are suitable for the proposed new use. 

Additional works may be necessary, such as:

  • insulation of walls and ceilings 
  • smoke alarms 
  • portable fire extinguishers 
  • exit signs 
  • ramp access 
  • accessible toilet facilities.

A planning permit may also be required for changing the use of a building, and must be obtained before a building permit can be issued. 

Contact our Building and Planning departments on 5422 0333 to discuss your change of use plans before you begin any works.