Swimming pools and spas

Do I need a permit? 

You will need a building permit if you want to:

  • construct, install or alter a swimming pool or spa that is more than 300mm deep
  • construct, install or alter a pool safety fence.

New safety laws for owners of pools and spas

New laws to improve swimming pool and spa safety came into effect on 1 December 2019.

The new laws require property owners, including landlords, to:

  • register swimming pools and/or spas that are deeper than 30cm with Council
  • complete inspections and lodge Certificates of Compliance with Council every four years.

This applies to:

  • in-ground and above ground pools and spas
  • inflatable pools
  • indoor pools and spa pools
  • children’s paddling and wading pools
  • portable spas, jacuzzis, hot tubs and swim spas


Existing pools and spas must be registered by 1 June 2020

New swimming pools and spas constructed after 1 June 2020 must be registered within 30 days of receiving the relevant Occupancy Permit or Certificate of Final Inspection


  • Initial registration fee: $ $31.80
  • Information search fee (applies to pools and spas constructed before 1 June 2020): $47.20
  • Lodgement of Certificate of Compliance: $20
  • Lodgement of Certificate of Non-Compliance: $385

What happens if I don’t register my pool or spa?

Council is required to make sure all affected property owners comply with the new regulations and penalties will apply if you do not register your pool or spa.

How do you register a pool or spa?

Download and complete the pool/spa registration form(PDF, 201KB) and return it to any of our customer service centres or post it to PO Box 151, Kyneton VIC 3444.

Online applications will be available soon.

Relocatable pools and spas

Any relocatable (moveable or portable) pools and spas on land that you own must be registered if they are erected for three or more consecutive days.

  • If it was erected before 1 June 2020 and remains erected for at least 3 consecutive days immediately before 1 June 2020, you must register by 4 June 2020.
  • If it was erected on or after 1 June 2020 and remains erected for three consecutive days, you must register the pool and spa on the fourth day after it was erected.

What happens next?

After registering your pool or spa, Council will send you written notification confirming:

  • that your pool or spa has been registered
  • the date of construction of your pool or spa and the applicable barrier standard
  • your right to appeal to the Building Appeals Board (BAB) in relation to the council’s determination of the date of construction of the pool or spa
  • the date by which the first or next certificate of barrier compliance must be lodged with the relevant council.
  • Owners will then be required to engage a registered building surveyor or building inspector to inspect and certify the compliance of their safety barrier every four years.

More information will be made available shortly.

For additional information you can view the Victorian Building Authority website or call our customer service team on (03) 5422 0333

Pool fences

You are required by law to have a pool safety fence installed around any body of water that is primarily used for swimming, wading, paddling.

This applies to:

  • spas (in-ground and portable)
  • indoor swimming pools
  • outdoor swimming pools (above and in-ground)
  • hot tubs
  • wading pools

Your pool safety fence must comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations 2018.

All owners are encouraged to inspect and review the compliance of their pools and/or spas by using the Victorian Building Authority self-assessment checklists.

Remember, a fully compliant safety barrier can never be considered totally childproof and proper adult supervision is essential to ensure the safety of children around a swimming pool or spa.

For more information, call our Building unit on (03) 5422 0333.

 Tips for maintaining fences and barriers 

  • Check that all gates close properly and self-closing hinges are working. This may be as simple as lubricating the gate and inspecting the structure for corrosion and missing or loose screws. 
  • Remove any climbable objects that are placed too close to the barrier such as chairs, pot plants or overgrown trees.