Land, planning and building certificates

There are different types of certificates that you may need to apply for when you are buying or selling a property, or undertaking building works on your property.

Building certificate (property information)

What is it?

A building certificate provides you with information about your property, such as:

  • building permits issued in the last 10 years
  • any orders or certificates issued on the property.
  • flood and termite information
  • inspection dates for specific building works completed in the last 10 years.

You can apply for a building certificate if you:

  • are the owner of the land where the building is located
  • have permission from the owner of the land
  • are purchasing the property and have entered into a contract
  • work for a public authority and have notified the land owner of your intention to apply.


As detailed on form:

Reg 51(1)

  • Details of any building permits issued in the preceding 10 years
  • Details of any current notice, order or certificate issued under the
  • Building Regulations;

Reg 51(2)

  • Information on whether the property is in an area which is liable to flooding within the meaning of Regulation 802
  • designated under Regulation 803 as an area which buildings are
  • likely to be subject to infestation by termites
  • a designated bush fire prone area determined under Regulation 804
  • an area determined under Regulation 805 to be likely to be subject to significant snowfalls
  • designated land within the meaning of Regulation 806 to be subject to overland drainage

Reg 51(3)

  • Mandatory inspection dates and results for building works related to any building permit issued in the preceding 10 years (information only supplied if  requested by owner or authorised in writing by owner)

How do I apply?

Complete a Building Certificate (Property information) Request form

More information

Contact our Building department on (03) 5422 0333.

Land information certificate

What is it?

A Land Information Certificate contains:

  • address details
  • Property valuation details
  • Rate charges (including arrears/interest if applicable)
  • Other charges or conditions.



How do I apply?

Request a Land Information Certificate

Note: if you are selling a property and have engaged a solicitor or conveyancer, they will usually apply for and obtain the certificate for you. Check with them before you apply.

More information

Contact our Rates department on (03) 5422 0333.

Planning certificate

A planning certificate contains information about the planning zones and any overlays that may apply to your property.

These certificates are issued by LANDATA.

To find out more and apply, visit