Fireworks and thunderstorms

Loud noises such as fireworks and thunderstorms can be frightening for animals such as dogs, cats and horses. 

Council often uses social media to advise animal owners of fireworks happening throughout the shire so be sure to follow us.

To use fireworks, the operator must hold a pyrotechnician licence, notify Worksafe Victoria in advance of the display, and ensure they comply with a range of legislative requirements.

Fireworks on public land

Public events that have fireworks displays are managed through event approval processes.

Fireworks on private land

The Community Local Law 2023 outlines additional requirements for fireworks on private land – refer to Clause 38. Fireworks and Pyrotechnic Displays. 

Enquire / report an issue

If you have a concern about fireworks at an event we recommend you contact the event organiser or venue manager in the first instance. 

To notify us about any instances of non-compliance with the regulations specified in Council’s Community Local Law 2023, you can report it online

Tips for owners and carers of dogs, cats and horses

Dogs and cats

It is important to ensure your pet is wearing its registration tag at all times, and that its registration and microchip details are up-to-date. This will assist our rangers to reunite them with you should your pet happen to escape.

If your pet gets particularly anxious with loud noises, you may want to consider talking to your veterinarian who may suggest medication to assist.


It is important for horse owners/carers to plan in advance (if possible).

Planning in advance might include:

  • Making a plan for moving your horse (if necessary)
  • Preparing their space
  • Planning to stay with your horse during the event – if possible
  • Talking to your veterinarian prior to the event (particularly if you know your horse reacts to loud noises).

It is also important to check on your horse after an event.

Additional advice for helping your animals during these events can be found here: