International Day of People with Disability
Everyone is invited to celebrate and recognise International Day of People with Disability (IDPwD) on 3 December each year.
IDPwD is a United Nations observed day celebrated each year to increase public awareness, understanding and acceptance of people living with a disability and to celebrate their achievements and contributions.
We all have a role to play to make our workplaces and community more accessible and inclusive for the 4.4 million Australians with disability, both visible and invisible.
For more information, visit IDPwD website
Showcasing Inclusion Photo Competition 2023
We all have a role to play in making our community more accessible and inclusive for the 4.4 million Australians with disability. By sharing and celebrating the lives and achievements of people with disability we can remind ourselves what genuine inclusion looks like. That's why, as part of our International Day of People with Disability 2023, Council is inviting everyone in our community to take part in a photograph competition about showcasing inclusion.
Competition categories will focus on different aspects of life such as education and employment, the arts, sport and social life, and will also include a category for photographers who identify as a person with disability and one for photographers under 16 years old. Prizes will be awarded for each category and for the photo selected by judges as the most outstanding illustration of ‘This is what inclusion means to me’.
Terms and conditions
- The photograph can be of any subject that illustrates inclusion of people with disability in the community or everyday life
- The photograph is to be in digital format and may be colour or black and white
- Any photograph can only be entered in one category
- The photograph must be taken by the entrant and the entrant must own copyright or have permission to use the image
- There is a maximum of five entries per person
- An entry will not be accepted if the photograph is considered by the promoter to be offensive or to depict adult themes
- The photographer must have permission from all people in the photograph to enter the photograph in the competition
- The photographer must give permission for the photograph to be used for exhibition and/or promotional purposes by Macedon Ranges Shire Council
- Copyright will be retained by the photographer
A panel of three judges will select a winning entry in each category, and an overall winning photograph.
Judges will look at how well the photo shows inclusivity, as well as creativity and artistic and technical merit.
Winners will be notified by email and telephone; and formally announced at an event held in an accessible venue in the Macedon Ranges Shire on 29 November 2023 from 5pm to 6.30pm.
The selected winning entry in each category will receive mounting and framing of their photograph plus a gift card valued at $100.
The overall winning photograph will receive mounting and framing of their photograph plus a gift card valued at $300.
The competition closes on 29 October, with a presentation event planned for 29 November, leading in to International Day of People with Disability, celebrated on 3 December each year to increase public awareness, understanding and acceptance of people with disability. A travelling exhibition will follow for the community to view entries, which will also be displayed online.