Shipping containers

You may need a planning permit, and/or a building or local laws permit, to place a shipping container on private property or Council land.

This includes for:

  • temporary or ongoing storage or use (personal or commercial)
  • farm or machinery storage 
  • a habitable building or shed
  • use on a building site.

There are different regulations and requirements, depending on how you propose to use the shipping container, your property’s planning zones and overlays, and Council’s local laws.

To find out more and discuss your plans, call our customer service team on (03) 5422 0333 so that they can direct your call to the relevant department.