Litter and rubbish dumping


Littering is illegal and offenders can be prosecuted under the Environment Protection Act 1970. 

If you see anyone littering, report it by contacting us on (03) 5422 0333 or report an issue.

Litter on building sites

Builders and owner builders must take measures to ensure that litter, debris and other waste is contained on the building site to the satisfaction of Council.

Rubbish dumping

The illegal dumping of rubbish is costly and dangerous to the community. Research conducted by EPA’s Illegal Dumping Strike Force program has shown that on average, each council is paying around $76,000 a year to clean up.

Illegal dumping can range in scale from a single bag of household rubbish to large household items such as TVs, appliances and electronic waste, furniture, mattresses, industrial wastes, construction and demolition materials, garden waste, packaging, tyres, old cars and soil.

Fines will apply to anyone caught dumping and you could also be issued with an environmental protection notice.

Report illegal dumping by  contacting us on (03) 5422 0333 or report an issue.
Or calling 1300 EPA VIC (1300 372 842).

If you find dumped rubbish, do not touch or interfere with it. It could contain dangerous industrial waste or disease and result in infection or poisoning. If rubbish has been left for a period of time, it may also harbour rodents or snakes.

Use your local waste services

If you have rubbish that cannot be disposed of by your regular bin collection service or via a public street bin, you may be able to take it to your local Transfer Station. To find out where to dispose of particular types of waste, see our A-Z Waste Index.

Litter straying from bins

If litter has spilled from your garbage or recycling bin, you must remove it from the road or any Council land.

Transporting waste

If you are transporting any waste, including manure, dead animals or animal remains, the vehicle must be constructed, fitted, loaded and covered to prevent anything from spilling or leaking, including offensive odours.

Street and park bins

Excalibur Cleaning Services is contracted by Council to empty and clean street and park litter bins. Illegal dumping should be reported to the EPA. See: Waste and litter.

The service schedule varies for different locations based on the amount of litter generated. The street bins in the main streets in the larger townships are emptied daily.  We can increase the frequency should there be a demonstrated need or a planned event.  Street bins are cleaned and disinfected at regular times throughout the year.

If a street or park litter bin is full, smelly or dirty we can arrange for the bin to be cleaned and emptied.

To report an issue with a bin, call our Customer Service on (03) 5422 0333 and provide the following information:

  • Exact details of location
  • Nearest cross street
  • Section of park