Concessions and exemptions

Agricultural land rate

If your property is used for agricultural purposes, you may be eligible to apply for the agricultural land rate.

To be eligible, the owner or occupier of the land must be registered as a Primary Producer by the Australian Taxation Office and lodging tax returns as primary producers and the property must:

  • be no less than two hectares, and
  • used primarily for grazing (including agistment), dairying, pig farming, poultry farming, fish farming, tree farming, bee keeping, viticulture, horticulture, fruit growing, the growing of crops of any kind, or for any combination of these activities

To apply, you must complete the Agricultural Land Rate application form(DOCX, 171KB) or Agricultural Land Rate application form(PDF, 123KB) and submit it by 30 June. If your application is not received in time, your property will continue to be rated at the General Rate for the current year.

Please note: the submit by date is the last day of each financial year for rating purposes.

Financial hardship

We are mindful that sometimes, due to a range of reasons, you may face difficulties and challenges that can affect your ability to pay your rates.

To help us support those who genuinely need it, Council has developed a Financial Hardship Policy that outlines options for ratepayers who are experiencing genuine financial hardship.

If you are experiencing difficulties, we encourage you to contact our Rates department on 5422 0322 to discuss your situation.

Formal requests must be submitted in writing and addressed to: Senior Rates Administrator, Macedon Ranges Shire Council, PO Box 151, Kyneton VIC 3444.

Pension concession rebates

If you are pensioner, you may be eligible for a partial rebate on your rates.

To be eligible, your name and address must be on the account and you must have one of the following cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card — issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card — War Widow (WW)
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card — Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)

Note: your concession card must be valid at the time of application.

You can only claim the rebate for your principal place of residence (the address on your concession card).

To apply for a rebate off your rates and charges, you must complete a Municipal Rates Concession form and submit it along with a copy of your concession card by 30 June. You can do this in person at one of our customer service centres or mail it to: Rates Department, Macedon Ranges Shire Council, PO Box 151, Kyneton VIC 3444.

Rates incentive scheme for businesses

Council has developed and implemented a number of support services for existing businesses and have identified the need for incentives that will create employment opportunities in the shire. Visit Incentives and Grants to see if your business qualifies for a rates discount.