The Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme is a statutory document which sets out planning controls for land in the Macedon Ranges Shire.
It guides the use, development and protection of land in our region.
A local planning scheme consists of two main sections:
- Policy and future direction for land use and development—from heritage and environment to parking.
- Zones and overlays, that tell you whether a property is for residential, industrial or business use. They detail what you are allowed or not allowed to do on your land.
The Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme is available from planning.vic.gov.au, simply enter Macedon Ranges into the search bar, or select the shire via the map.
You can find out about the zones, schedules and other information for specific properties by visiting Maps and Spatial Data on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.
For more information, call us on (03) 5422 0333 or email email@example.com
The documents listed below are incorporated documents under section 6(2)(j) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
An incorporated document forms part of our planning scheme. Documents incorporated in this planning scheme and the Schedule to documents incorporated in this planning scheme are found in Clause 72.04 of the planning scheme. The Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme is available from planning.vic.gov.au
Simply enter Macedon Ranges into the search bar, or select via the map, then under Ordinance, scroll down to the relevant clause.
If a document is not listed below, it is not an incorporated document. A document is not incorporated in our planning scheme by reason only that is referred to in the scheme.
Note: Clause 72.08 contains a list of background documents and schedule to background documents relevant to our planning scheme. A background document does not form part of the planning scheme.
All documents in the list below can be found on Planning Victoria. Simply enter Macedon Ranges into the search bar or search via the map, then click through to the Incorporated Documents tab and type a keyword into the search bar.
- A 'Good Neighbour' Code of Practice for a Circus or Carnival, Oct 1997 – V3
- A Code of Practice for Telecommunications Facilities in Victoria, July 2004 – VC26
- Apiary Code of Practice, May 2011 – VC81
- Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS1158.1.1:1997, Road lighting, Part 1.1: Vehicular traffic (Category V) lighting - Performance and installation design requirements. Standards Australia/Standards New Zealand 1997 – VC12
- Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS1158.3.1:1999, Road lighting, Part 3.1: Pedestrian Area (Category P) lighting - Performance and installation design requirements. Standards Australia/Standards New Zealand 1999 – VC12
- Australian Standard AS2021-2015, Acoustics – Aircraft Noise Intrusion – Building Siting and Construction, Standards Australia Limited, 2015 – VC107
- Australian Standard AS/NZS 2890.1.2004, Parking Facilities - Off-Street Car Parking, Standards Australia, 2004 – VC26
- Australian Standard AS2890.2-2002 Parking facilities: Off-street commercial vehicle facilities. Standards Australia 2002 – VC77
- Australian Standard AS2890.3-1993, Parking Facilities Part 3: Bicycle parking facilities. Standards Australia 1993 – VC28
- Building in bushfire-prone areas - CSIRO and Standards Australia (SAA HB36-1993), May 1993 – NPS1
- Code of Practice for Bushfire Management on Public Land, 2012 – VC101
- Code of Practice for Timber Production 2014 – VC101
- Construction Techniques for Sediment Pollution Control, Environment Protection Authority, May 1991 – NPS1
- Design Guidelines for Industrial & Commercial Development for the Macedon Ranges Shire, June 2012 – C71
- Design Vehicles and Turning Path Templates, Austroads, 1995 (AP-34/95) – VC12
- Fibre Optic Project, Integrated Approval Requirements, December 2002 - VC17
- Gisborne Development Contributions Plan, April 2013 - C87
- Goulburn-Murray Water Native Vegetation Code of Practice, February 2011 - C85
- Growth Area Framework Plans, Department of Sustainability and Environment, September 2006 – VC41
- Guide to Residential Streets and Paths, Cement and Concrete Association of Australia, 2004 (C&CCA T51-2004) – VC26
- Guide to Road Design, Part 6A: Pedestrian and Cycle Paths, Austroads – VC77
- Guidelines for Environmental Management: Code of Practice - Onsite Wastewater Management (Publication 891.4, Environment Protection Authority, 2016) – VC132
- Guidelines for the removal of destruction or lopping of native vegetation (Department of Environment, Land Water and Planning 2017) VC138
- Hospital Emergency Medical Services - Helicopter Flight Path Protection Areas Incorporated Document, June 2017 - GC49
- Kyneton Racecourse Masterplan, Kyneton and Hanging Rock Racing Club and NMIT, February 2011 - C72
- Ladye Place Restructure Plan, July 2013 - C88
- Lancefield, Romsey and Woodend Town Centre Heritage Precincts Planning Permit Exemptions, July 2011 - C33
- Local Government Guide for Dry Land Salinity, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, 1995 – NPS1
- Macedon Ranges Shire Restructure Area Plans, 1999 - NPS1
- Pavement Design - A Guide to the Structural Design of Road Pavements, Austroads (AP-17/92) – VC12
- Planning requirements for racing dog keeping and training (Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, August 2017) – VC139
- Powerline Bushfire Safety Program - Native Vegetation Removal Code of Practice, August 2016 - GC57
- Principal Public Transport Network, 2017 (State Government of Victoria, August 201) – VC132
- Principal Public Transport Network Area Maps (State Government of Victoria, August 2018) – VC151
- Private Tennis Court Development Code of Practice - Revision 1, March 1999 – VC5
- Rail Gauge Standardisation Project, Integrated Approval Requirements, December 2002 - VC17
- Regional Fast Rail Project, Integrated Approval Requirements, December 2002 - VC17
- Romsey Development Contributions Plan, July 2012 - C80
- Shirley Park (98-100 Romsey Road Woodend) Heritage Place Planning Permit Exemption, July 2011 - C33
- Significant Trees: 1141 Three Chain Road, Cobaw, August 2014 - C89
- Special Sites Incorporated Document, 2000 - NPS1
- Victorian Code for Broiler Farms 2009 (plus 2018 amendments) – VC60
- Victorian Code for Cattle Feedlots, August 1995 – NPS1
- Victorian Low Density Mobile Outdoor Poultry Farm Planning Permit Guidelines (Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources, June 2018) VC150
- Victorian Low Density Mobile Outdoor Pig Farm Planning Permit Guidelines (Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources, June 2018) – VC150
The process for carrying out a planning scheme amendment is set out in the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
Further information including the planning scheme amendment process can be found in our fact sheet:
For additional information, including how to prepare a planning scheme amendment, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning have more information on amending a planning scheme.
Private sponsored amendments
A private sponsored amendment is a planning scheme amendment initiated at the request of an applicant or landowner.
These mainly relate to an individual parcel of land where the landowner is the main beneficiary. More information can be found in our fact sheet:
Amendment C126macr corrects errors and anomalies and makes minor changes to mapping and ordinance of the Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme.
Adoption of Amendment
Council considered the recommendations of the Panel Report for C126 at the 24 March 2021 Scheduled Council Meeting. Council resolved the following:
- Split Amendment C126macr into:
a. Part 1 comprising of changes 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 and 34.
b. Part 2 comprising of changes 4, 13, 15, 26, 27 and 28.
- Adopt C126macr Part 1 and submit to the Minister for Planning together with the prescribed information for approval and gazettal pursuant to Section 31(1) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- Abandon C126macr Part 2 and notify the Minister for Planning.
- Notify submitters and land owners of Council’s decision.
24 March 2021 Scheduled Council Meeting Minutes
The Minister for Planning will now consider Part 1 of amendment C126 for approval and all affected landholders and submitters will be updated once a decision is made.
After considering submissions to the amendment, Council resolved at its Scheduled Meeting held on 16 September 2020 to refer the submissions to a Panel. The minutes(PDF, 347KB) of the meeting are available to view. The Panel Direction Hearing was held on 29 October 2020.
The Panel Direction Hearing was held on 29 October 2020. The Panel Hearing was held via video conference on Tuesday 24 November 2020 and Wednesday 25 November 2020.
The panel heard the matter in an open forum, consistent with its obligation to conduct hearings in public. All parties to the hearing were advised of these arrangements and Council was represented by a planning officer.
Panel Report Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme Amendment C126 Errors, Anomalies and Minor Changes(PDF, 1MB)
Council Panel Submission Part A Word(DOCX, 213KB) Pdf(PDF, 466KB)
Council Panel Submission Part B Word(DOCX, 399KB) Pdf(PDF, 706KB)
- Attachment A: C126macr - Officer Summary of Submissions attachment to Scheduled Council Meeting held on 16 September 2020(PDF, 590KB)
- Attachment B: C126macr - Explanatory report attachment to Scheduled Council Meeting held on 16 September 2020(PDF, 363KB)
- Attachment C: C126macr - Notice Document attachment to Scheduled Council Meeting held on 16 September 2020(PDF, 516KB)
- Attachment D: C126macr - Consolidated submission document attachment to Scheduled Council Meeting held on 16 September 2020(PDF, 9MB)
- Attachment E: Macedon Ranges Shire Council - Biodiversity Strategy 2018 (PDF, 8MB)
- Attachment F: Adopted Riddells Creek Structure Plan, 2013(PDF, 7MB)
- Attachment G: C126macr - Environment Protection Agency Victoria response under Ministerial Direction 19 – dated 7 February 2020
- Attachment H: Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme Amendment C100macr – Panel Report
- Attachment I: Notice of Amendment given to Dja Dja Wurrung Aboriginal Corporation, Regional Roads Victoria, Coliban Water, Department of Education and Training, Country Fire Authority, State Emergency Service and DELWP (Forest, Fire and Regions Group(PDF, 261KB)
- Attachment J: Environmental Management Plan, Hobbs Road Bushland Reserve, Bullengarook, June 2013(PDF, 7MB)
- Attachment K: Environmental Management Plan, Bald Hill Reserve, Kyneton, July 2012 (PDF, 7MB)
- Attachment L: Kyneton Conservation Heritage Study 1990(PDF, 258MB)
- Attachment M: Scheduled Council Meeting Minutes – 22 June 2016(DOC, 268KB)
- Attachment N: Planning Permit PLN/2016/241 including latest endorsed plans(PDF, 9MB)
- Attachment O: Scheduled Council Meeting Minutes – 26 April 2017
Twenty eight (28) submissions have been received to date.
Redacted versions (all personal/identifiable details removed) are now available.
Download the submissions(PDF, 9MB).
View more details and documents:
Clauses and schedules
Supporting documents, clauses and schedules in track changes format
Macedon Ranges Shire Heritage Study: Woodend, Lancefield, Macedon and Mount Macedon 2019
We are committed to improving our built environment by protecting places of heritage significance. The Macedon Ranges Shire Heritage Study: Woodend, Lancefield, Macedon and Mount Macedon 2019 documented a number of significant places in the shire and was adopted by Council on 24 April 2019. The minutes(PDF, 249KB) from the meeting are available to view.
Amendment C127 implements the adopted study by placing the Heritage Overlay on 32 places. The Heritage Overlay protects the significance of these places and their importance to the history of Macedon Ranges for our community now, and in to the future.
Have your say
If you have any comments, concerns or general feedback on the amendment, you can have your say by making a submission to Council during the public exhibition period, from Thursday 3 June to Friday 16 July 2021.
This amendment was gazetted on 11 June 2020.
Clauses and schedules
Supporting documents, clauses and schedules in track changes format
If you have any questions, or would like more information call our Strategic Planning team on (03) 5422 0333, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The amendment implements a combination of correcting obvious and technical errors, clarifying or improving grammar or language, inserting or updating headings, updating references to clauses, changing a description of a department and applying the Road Zone, Category 1 to a declared road in the Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme. The amendment was gazetted on 1 October 2020.
- Clause 21.02(PDF, 125KB)
- Clause 21.04(PDF, 220KB)
- Clause 21.05(PDF, 212KB)
- Clause 21.06(PDF, 173KB)
- Clause 21.07(PDF, 189KB)
- Clause 21.08(PDF, 162KB)
- Clause 21.09(PDF, 208KB)
- Clause 21.10(PDF, 212KB)
- Clause 21.12(PDF, 198KB)
- Clause 21.13(PDF, 10MB)
Clauses in track changes format
- Clause 21.02 - tracked changes(PDF, 117KB)
- Clause 21.04 - tracked changes(PDF, 230KB)
- Clause 21.05 - tracked changes(PDF, 204KB)
- Clause 21.06 - tracked changes(PDF, 162KB)
- Clause 21.07 - tracked changes(PDF, 174KB)
- Clause 21.08 - tracked changes(PDF, 155KB)
- Clause 21.09 - tracked changes(PDF, 200KB)
- Clause 21.10 - tracked changes(PDF, 200KB)
- Clause 21.12 - tracked changes(PDF, 190KB)
- Clause 21.13 - tracked changes(PDF, 10MB)
For more information, contact the Strategic Planning team on (03) 5422 0333 or email email@example.com
All Councils are required to regularly review their Planning Schemes to ensure they are up-to-date and provide clear and relevant guidance for the community, developers and planners.
For more information and to have your say, visit Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme Review.