Animals you can keep

Numbers and types of animals

There are limits on the number and types of animals you can keep on your property without the need for a permit, depending on the size of your land. 

Please note that any animals you keep on your property must not cause a nuisance to anybody due to noise, smell or any other issue.

Animals should also have adequate housing and the property should be adequately fenced.

You should also check your land title for any covenants that apply to keeping animals on your land. Contact council's Local Laws and Planning departments on (03) 5422 0333 to discuss your plans.

Dogs and cats

  • on land up to 4,000 square metres (1 acre) - 2 dogs and 2 cats
  • on land greater than 4,000 square metres (1 acre) - 4 dogs and 4 cats.


  • less than 4,000 square metres (1 acre) - 0.


  • there is no limit to the number chickens you can keep, as long as it is not for commercial purposes and they do not cause a nuisance to neighbours.

Pigs or piglets

  • less than 10,000 square metres (2.5 acres) – 0.

Farm animals

  • less than 2,000 square metres (0.5acre) - 0 (unless they are kept on the land for not more than 1 month and are being used for fire prevention or weed control purposes).

Refer to Division 3 - Animal Control on page 22 of the Council's Local Law No. 10 for further information and conditions in regard to the keeping of animals.

Permits required

A list of permit types and their costs can be found on our Permit Fees page.

Dogs and cats

If you wish to keep more dogs or cats than stated above, you need to apply to Council for an Excess Animals Permit (available in Word(DOCX, 156KB) and PDF(PDF, 192KB)).

Other animals

If you require a permit to keep any of the other animals listed above, you will need to apply for a General Local Laws Permit (Word(DOCX, 187KB) and PDF(PDF, 200KB)).

Submission of your permit

You can submit the form with your application fee via post or in person.

When you apply, Council may inspect your property to ensure it is adequately set up to manage the animals. It must be of an adequate size and fenced appropriately to house the animals, and there must be controls to minimise nuisance noise.

Your permit must be renewed annually.

Commercial operations

If you are keeping or breeding any kind of animal for commercial purposes, you need to apply for an Animal Business Permit. You may also need a planning permit