Walking dogs off leash
Currently dogs are not required to be on a leash, unless the area is signed. However, dangerous, menacing and restricted breed dogs do need to be on a leash at all times.
As of 1 January 2020, Council's new Dog and Cat Order 2019 - Domestic Animals Act 1994 (incorporating Schedules 1 and 2) will require:
- dogs to be under effective control in public places
- dogs to be leashed in all public places except in designated off leash areas.
The Order will also:
- prohibit dogs and cats from some public places for environmental reasons.
More information will be provided on this page in January once the new Order comes into effect. This will include:
- a definition of effective control
- off leash areas - including any restrictions in those areas
- where you are not permitted to walk your dog.