Adopt a pet
Adopting a pet not only gives the animal a second chance in life, but also has health and wellbeing benefits for the owner.
If you are thinking about getting a pet, we encourage you to approach a reputable, registered animal shelter. Examples include The Lost Dogs Home, RSCPA, Lort Smith Animal Hospital, Cat Protection Society and Animal Aid Victoria. Pet rescue groups are another good adoption option.
Animals available for adoption should be vet-checked, de-sexed, vaccinated, microchipped and wormed.
Benefits of purchasing a pet from a shelter or pound
There are many advantages to purchasing a dog or cat (or even another type of pet, such as a rabbit or guinea pig) from a registered shelter or pound.
- Shelter and pound animals are reasonably priced, especially considering they are all vet checked, de-sexed, vaccinated, microchipped and wormed.
- Animal shelters and pounds re-home dogs and cats of all ages and breed types so it is possible to choose an animal that suits your individual needs.
- By purchasing a dog or cat from a shelter or pound you are reducing the number of excess animals in the community, and giving a home to an animal in need.
- Shelters and pounds have to comply with the Code of Practice for the Management of Dogs and Cats in Shelters and Pounds. This means you are supporting an organisation that maintains high standards of management and care for their animals.
- Adopting a mature dog or cat means that you do not have to go through the demanding stage of raising a puppy or kitten.
- With a mature pet you have a good idea of the animal's temperament and you know the animal's adult size, coat type etc.
- Mature pets are often house-trained and may even have some other basic training.
If you wish to give a second chance to an animal from the Macedon Ranges community you can find animals available for adoption from Council's Pound contractor The Lost Dogs Home
Discounted registration fee
If you adopt a pet from a registered animal shelter anywhere in Victoria, you can register your new pet for a discounted fee for the initial registration period. Proof of adoption and de-sexing should be provided with your registration form.