Apply for a planning permit

Find out what to do before applying, how to submit your application, and the next steps after submission.


Confirm that a permit is required

If you are not sure you can:

More information:  Do I need a permit?

Request a pre-application meeting

Complicated or major applications may benefit from a pre-application meeting with a Planning Officer. Simple or domestic applications can be discussed over the phone on 03 5422 0333 or in person at the Gisborne Administration Centre if required.

Complete this quick online form to request a meeting:

Online Form - Request a pre-application meeting

Consult with neighbours

Discussing your proposal with your neighbours may save time down the track if you can address any concerns prior to submitting your application.

Consider seeking professional advice

Professional advice in the early stages can help you navigate the complexities of the planning process.

Complete the relevant checklist

Submit all required documents with your application to avoid delays. Checklists of required documents:


To apply for a new planning permit

Application for a Planning Permit(PDF, 940KB)

Complete this application form and email to You can also submit by post or in person.  

Don't forget to attach:

  • a complete and current copy of title documents (available from Landata); and
  • supporting documents such as plans (see "before you apply" section above for checklists).

Application fees

Your application will be lodged after we receive the application documents and fee. If you submit your application without payment we will contact you to advise of the applicable fee and payment options.

More information: Planning forms and fees  

Other applications

For applications other than a new planning permit (e.g. miscellaneous planning consent, amendments and extensions), visit Planning forms and fees for the relevant application form.



Once we receive your application documents and fee we will lodge your application. We will send you an Acknowledgement Letter with the application number and contact details for the allocated Planning Officer.

Request for further information (RFI)

If the Planning Officer requires additional information in order to properly assess your application, they will send you a Request for Further Information (RFI). The RFI letter will list the information required, and may specify a date by which the information must be provided. 


If required, the Planning Officer will refer your application internally (e.g. to Council's Environment Unit) and/or externally (e.g. to water or power authorities). Some referrals are required by the Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme and we must allow 28 days for a response.

A referral authority may object to your application, consent, or consent with conditions to be included if a permit is granted. In some cases, we are legally required to follow their determination. 

Public notice (advertising)

If you are required to give public notice of your application we will send you an Advertising Instructions letter. This letter will specify the required notice, which may include:

  • registered letters sent to specified addresses
  • a sign/s on the site; and/or
  • a notice/s in a local newspaper.  

Your application documents will also be made available on our website. Any person who feels they will be affected by the grant of the permit can object to your application.

Councillor List

Some applications must be placed on a fortnightly list for the Councillors to review. If your application is "called-in" from this list by Councillors, the Planning Officer will no longer have the authority to issue or refuse your permit. Your application will instead be considered and decided by the Council, usually at the monthly Planning Delegated Committee (PDC) meetings. Your Planning Officer will discuss this with you in more detail if applicable.


Once the Planning Officer, or the Council, has decided your application we will issue one of the following:

Planning permit

If the application is approved, and there are no objections, we will issue a planning permit. This will include conditions that need to be complied with. It may be issued with a set of endorsed (stamped) plans, or it may have a condition requiring modified plans be submitted to us for endorsement.

Notice of decision to grant a permit

If approval is supported, but there are objections, we will first issue a Notice of Decision to Grant a Permit. This outlines all the conditions that will apply to the permit if it is issued, and is sent to you as well as all objectors. The objectors then have 28 days to apply for a review of the decision to the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal. If no application for review is lodged within this time, the permit will then be issued. 

Notice of decision to refuse to grant a permit

If the application is refused, you will be sent a notice outlining the reasons why. This notice will also be sent to any objectors to the application. You may apply for a review of the decision to the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal within 60 days. 

More information: VCAT Reviews