Accommodation and tourism businesses


If you are thinking of opening a bed and breakfast, boarding house, guest house, hostel, motel, hotel, residential accommodation, rooming houses, student dormitories, caravan parks or a holiday camp in the Macedon Ranges then it is important that you communicate with Council’s Planning, Building, Health and Tourism departments as there are many requirements associated with opening any type of accommodation in the Macedon Ranges.

The following must be considered when opening tourist accommodation:

Please contact Council on (03) 5422 0333 to arrange a pre-application meeting with the relevant departments.

Registering a new accommodation business

You will need to register your accommodation if:

  • Six or more people (other than the owners) are able to stay at a prescribed accommodation premises.

These regulations aim to ensure good standards of:

  • Hygiene
  • Sanitation
  • Maintenance
  • Prevent overcrowding
  • Reduce the risk of communicable diseases

Please complete an Application of Prescribed Accommodation(DOCX, 169KB) with the prescribed fee.

Buying an existing accommodation business

 When buying an existing accommodation business:

  • Contact our health department to organise a pre-purchase inspection as this will provide you with a report detailing the condition of the premises.  You will need to complete an pre-purchase Inspection form(DOCX, 164KB) and pay the prescribed fee before the inspection can be undertaken; or

Promoting your business

Once your business is established and ready for operation please contact the Visitor Information Centres to list your business with both centres in the Macedon Ranges Shire.

You can also accredit your business with the Tourism Accreditation Board of Victoria (TABV).  The TABV will assess your back of house operations such as business and marketing planning and licences.

There are many ways you can promote your business once it is operating.  Please visit the Marketing Your Business web page for further information.

The Centre of Adult education has a one day workshop for those who are planning to operate a Bed and Breakfast business.  For more information visit the CAE website.

William Angliss Institute of Tafe run courses that may of assistance,  For more information visit the William Angliss Institute website.