Public Health Regulations – personal care and body art premises
The Victorian Government has simplified the registration requirements for hairdressing and low risk beauty therapy premises so that eligible businesses (such as those that solely provide hairdressing and/or low risk beauty therapy services at their premises) are now able to apply for ongoing registration.
From 1 March 2016 proprietors of the following hairdressing and low risk beauty therapy business premises are required to apply for a new business registration:
- Proprietors of new businesses
- Proprietors whose business premises moves location
- Proprietors that transfer their business to a third party.
These proprietors will make an application, accompanied by an ongoing application fee, for the new ongoing business premise registration.
Council will then issue these businesses with a new ongoing certificate of registration. In the case of businesses that transfer to a third party, the ongoing certificate of registration will be issued to the new business owner.
Hairdressing and low risk beauty therapy
Hairdressing is defined as:
- cutting hair with scissors or razors
- colouring and styling of hair
Low risk beauty therapy is defined as:
- temporary make up
- henna tattoos
- spray tans
- eyelash and eyebrow tinting.
Proprietors of businesses that offer one or more of the services described above are eligible to apply for ongoing registration.
Additional beauty therapy services
If a proprietor of a hairdressing and/or low risk beauty therapy business premises also offers other services at the same premises such as:
- piercing or other skin penetration services
- colonic irrigation
- beauty therapy services such as permanent or semi-permanent make-up application (cosmetic tattooing), facial or body treatments, manicure or pedicures, application or mending of artificial nails, or epilation by electrolysis or wax.
The existing periodic registration requirements will continue to apply and this will be accompanied by a periodic renewal registration fee.