Asset Protection

You need a permit to do any work on, or next to, a Council road. This includes the area from your front fence line to the opposite property's fence line. This is to limit the cost to the rate payer and ensure that any damage caused is rectified by those responsible. 

Protected assets include: 

  • footpaths—sealed and gravel
  • nature strips—grass or dirt
  • trees
  • kerb and channel
  • open table drains—grassed/unsealed drainage
  • storm water drainage pits
  • utility pits
  • signs and guide posts
  • road surface—sealed or unsealed.

Works could include:

  • construction of a driveway
  • connection to Council’s storm water drains
  • building construction
  • excavation or alteration of a road, footpath or drain
  • temporary storage of materials on the road reserve.

Standard notes and drawings

Standard notes and drawings provide more information about our design standards.

Apply for a permit 

Fill in the asset protection application form(DOCX, 174KB) or asset protection application form(PDF, 311KB) and send it to us with the appropriate fees, bonds and public liability certificate of currency, to PO Box 151, Kyneton VIC 3444.

You cannot start the works until we issue your permit.

If you have any questions or would like more information, call us on (03) 5422 0333.