Your 240 litre recycling bin (yellow lid) is collected fortnightly, on the alternate week to your general waste bin (red lid) if you are in a FOGO area.
Find out your bin collection day
Glass is not accepted in your recycling bin (yellow lid). Please continue to keep glass out of your recycling bin and place glass in your glass-only bin (purple lid) bin.
Separating and sorting glass from recycling is an important step in ensuring all recyclables avoid being sent to landfill and can be turned into something new.
When mixed with other materials, glass can break. Shards and small pieces of glass can become embedded in paper and cardboard and reduce the quality of these materials, making them harder to recycle or resulting in recyclables going to landfill.
- Paper, envelopes, office paper, newspapers, magazines
- Aluminium and steel tin cans, foil (scrunched)
- Egg cartons
- Rigid plastics such as biscuit trays, margarine tubs, ice cream tubs
- Soft drink bottles, milk and detergent bottles
- Cardboard boxes
- Cereal boxes
Do rinse items going into your recycling bin, but you don't need to clean them thoroughly as recycling companies clean everything anyway.
Remove excess food from plastic containers and pizza boxes, but there is no need for them to be spotless.
Do not put in your recycling bin
- Bagged recyclables
- Plastic bags, soft plastics
- General waste
- Polystyrene or foam
- Light globes
- Glass and ceramics
- Food waste
- Garden waste
- Clothing, shoes and textiles
- Syringes and sharps
- Tetra packs, milk and juice cartons
For more information, download our Let's get sorted guide(PDF, 1MB) or for a complete list, refer to our A-Z waste guide of what goes where
- Put your bin out the night before your collection day.
- Leave a 1 metre gap between each bin and any obstructions, e.g. trees, cars, power poles.
- Place bins close to the road with handles facing your property.
- Ensure bins are closed.
- Do not over fill bins or leave rubbish beside them. This will not be collected.
- Bins must not weigh more than 80 kilograms when collected.
Our contractors are currently placing new stickers on the lid of all recycling bins across the shire.
This sticker is a friendly reminder that no glass is to be placed in the yellow lid recycling bin and highlights the materials that are currently accepted.
If you do not have a sticker on your recycling bin yet, we may not have reached your area.
If you would like a sticker posted to you to place on the bin yourself, call our Customer Service team on (03) 5422 0333 or firstname.lastname@example.org