In the Macedon Ranges Shire, glass does not belong in the recycling bin (yellow lid) and must be placed in the glass-only bin (purple lid) to be recycled separately.
New 140 litre glass-only bins (purple lid) were delivered to all residents and businesses in February 2020.
Thanks to the hard work of our residents, nearly 7,000 tonnes of glass has been processed for use in construction projects (as of June 2023).
What can and can't go in your glass-only bin?
You can put the following in your glass-only bin:
- Glass bottles such as wine, beer, spirits, olive oil, etc.
- Glass jars and containers such as jam, pasta sauce, condiments etc.
- Labels can stay on
- Metal caps and lids can be placed in your recycling bin (yellow lid)
- Empty and rinse glass (there is no need for a thorough clean)
Do not put the following in your glass-only bin:
- General waste
- Plastic lids and bottle caps
- Light globes, mirrors, perfume bottles, drinking glasses and window glass
- Pyrex containers
- Plastic bags
For more information, download our Let's get sorted guide(PDF, 1MB) or for a complete list, refer to our A-Z waste guide of what goes where
Can I use a liner in my bin?
Do not line your glass-only bin and do not put your glass in plastic bags before placing them in the bin.
Glass bottles and jars must be placed loose into your bin to be recycled properly.
Can you opt out?
No. The new four bin service complies with the Victorian Government's 2020 Recycling Victoria: A New Economy which will see a standardised four bin waste and recycling system for households across the state by 2030. This is a vital step in reducing the amount of waste going to landfill. Macedon Ranges Shire Council is one of the only councils in the state achieving the policy’s kerbside reform objectives.
Each property with a recycling bin (yellow lid) must have a glass-only bin on the premises to ensure no glass is put in the recycling bin.
Find out your bin collection day
Your 140 litre glass-only bin will be collected every four weeks.
Your collection day and the bins you need to put out for collection each week depend on the area that you live in.
Search your address online to find out when your next bin collection day is and download a calendar.
Own a commercial property?
Commercial properties that require multiple glass-only bins can order more online or contact our customer service team on (03) 5422 0333.
Putting your bin out correctly
Follow these steps to ensure your bin is put out correctly:
- Put your bin out the night before your collection day
- Leave a one metre gap between each bin and any obstructions, e.g. trees, cars, power poles
- Place bins close to the road with handles facing your property
- Ensure bins are closed
- Do not overfill bins or leave rubbish beside them (overfilled bins will not be collected)
- Bins must not weigh more than 80 kilograms
Where does your waste go?
Glass collected from your glass-only bin will be taken to ASQ, and is reused in road construction materials.