Animals at large

Wandering livestock and pets can pose a danger to public safety and native wildlife. Protect your animals and avoid impound fees by keeping them secured on your property.  

Report wandering animals

If you see any animals at large or at risk of wandering from a property, report it to Council on (03) 5422 0333

Livestock on roads

Livestock on roads pose a great danger to motorists. If you own or provide agistment for livestock, you must set up and maintain adequate fencing so that the animals you keep on your land cannot escape.

Your stock is likely to be impounded if they have escaped from your property. Council can also impound livestock from within your property if there is a risk of them wandering and endangering public safety.

Impounded livestock will incur impound charges per head plus transport costs. Additional fines, daily holding and feed charges may also apply.

For more information about confining your livestock, see Council's Community Local Law 2023.

Lost pets

The Domestic Animal Act 1994 states that all pets need to be microchipped and registered with your local Council from the age of 3 months.  Ensuring that both the microchip and registration details are up to date gives both Council and Vets a greater chance of reuniting animals with the rightful owner safely and quickly.  Animals are also less likely to be impounded if Council can locate you easily, saving you impound fees and boarding fees. Fines may also apply.

If you see roaming pets, or pets chasing wildlife, or you have lost your pet, Contact council on (03) 5422 0333. Council maintains a database for lost and found pets. 

Wandering cats

We understand that cats wandering in the neighbourhood can become a problem to you, and, are also a threat to our native wildlife.

Council Rangers will attend to collect a contained cat if it is contained in a way that the Ranger can safely collect it. If you are unable to pick up the cat and place into a pet carrier, then it is best to use a professionally built ‘box trap’ designed specifically for cats. This will ensure the safety and welfare of the cat and the Ranger. Council Rangers are unable to impound a cat that is not safely contained, and may release the cat if it is unsafe to collect it.

If you are aware of an injured or sick cat wandering in your neighbourhood, call our customer service team on (03) 5422 0333 for more advice.

Cat trap hire

Council offers a cat trap hire service to assist residents with containing cats for collection. The cost to hire a trap from us is $15 per week, with a $50 bond deposit. For each extra week that the cage is kept, an additional $15 will be deducted from the initial bond deposit, with the balance refunded once the cage is collected and the refund processed. Refund of the bond deposit can be made to your rates or bank account.

An additional $20 fee will be charged if you need Council assistance to set the trap up at your property. This fee is non-refundable.

Traps can be collected from the Gisborne Administration Centre and Kyneton Administration Centre.   

If you frequently require a cat trap to control wandering and feral cats on your property, it may be a more cost effective and reliable option to purchase your own trap. Our Local Laws team can provide further information about sourcing humane cat traps.

Contained cat collection

To keep employees and the community safe, hired cat traps must NOT be returned by the hirer. Call us on (03) 5422 0333 and a ranger will collect it from you between 8.30am and 4pm on weekdays. Any calls made after-hours to collect cats are dealt with the following day. Calls received on weekends or public holidays will be dealt with on the next business day. For this reason we ask that traps are not set after 4pm on a Friday through to Sunday evening before sunset, or from midday prior to a public holiday.

Any cats trapped in a non-Council trap will only be attended to if deemed safe for the ranger to retrieve it. Rangers will NOT transport a cat in a resident’s trap and return it at a later date. If not deemed safe, customers may be advised to either take the cat in the trap to their local vet or release it and hire a Council Cat Trap.  

Domestic cats that are wearing current identification or can be traced through a microchip will be reunited with their owners once it is confirmed that the cat is registered. Cats that are not microchipped or identifiable will be impounded.

If you have contained a cat that frequently trespasses on your property, an objection to trespassing notice can be issued to the cat’s owner. Speak to the ranger who collects the cat about this option.

Roaming dogs

Dogs can also have a significant impact on native wildlife, particularly koalas who have reduced in numbers throughout the shire. Dogs can kill or injure koalas as they move on the ground from tree to tree. They can also scare native animals which can result in them moving into the path of traffic or becoming tangled in barbed wire fences. 

Macedon Ranges Shire has a dog on leash order in place.  Unless there is signage identifying otherwise, all dogs should be on leash. Prevent your dog from wandering and put it on a leash when you are not in an off leash area.