Prepare yourself and your property for fire
You can reduce the risk to your home from a bushfire by taking the time to prepare your property well before the bushfire season starts.
10 ways to make sure you are fire ready
- Slash grass and keep it under 75mm high.
- Rake up and remove fine fuels, such as dry grass, leaves, twigs and loose bark. Use Council's free green waste drop.
- Remove any rubbish or material that is likely to cause, maintain or promote a fire.
- Store flammable liquids well away from the house.
- Store woodpiles away from the house.
- Place metal flyscreens or window shutters over windows.
- Keep gutters clean of fine fuels.
- Remove all noxious weeds from your land.
- Face LPG cylinders vent pipe away from the house and store securely in an upright position.
- Prepare your bushfire survival plan.
For more information about how to prepare your property download a copy of the CFA Fire Ready Kits.
If you want to burn off, check the current fire restrictions and burning off requirements.
Prepare your fire plan
Leaving early is your safest option to survive a bushfire.
It is important to have a written and practiced Bushfire Survival Plan that includes what you and your family will do on a fire risk day.
Please visit the CFA website for more information on how you can Prepare Your Personal Bushfire Plan.