Reduce your food waste
Want to reduce your food waste?
Reducing the amount of food waste that you create will have a positive impact on the environment and help you save money. Sustainability Victoria suggests that each year:
- 65 per cent of the food thrown away by Victorian households is edible
- the average Victorian household wastes $2,136 worth of food every year
- Victorians throw out 250,000 tonnes of food, enough to fill Melbourne's Eureka Tower!
Some tips to avoid food waste and save money:
- Plan your meals for the week and only purchase what you need (stick to your list!).
- Use leftovers the next day or put them in labelled containers in your freezer for future meals.
- Declutter your pantry and fridge by keeping the foods with the nearest expiry date at the front of each shelf so you use them before newer purchases.
Visit Sustainability Victoria for more food saving tips.