Reusable Nappy, Sanitary and Incontinence Product Rebate Program
Did you know, around 660 million disposable nappies, sanitary and incontinence products end up in landfill in Australia each year?
On average there are over 10 babies born per week in Macedon Ranges Shire Council.
Every child will use on average 6,000-7,000 nappies before they toilet train. For the babies born in the shire in one year, that’s approximately 3.5 million nappies being sent to landfill by the time they toilet train.
Over the course of a lifetime, a menstruator will use between 5,000 – 15,000 sanitary products. Most of which will end up in a landfill.
1 in 4 Australians is incontinent. Waste from incontinence products is expected to outgrow infant products by 4 to 10 times by 2030.
About the rebate program
A review of similar programs being run by other councils has been undertaken and this has informed the decision to support the community in reducing these types of waste to landfill.
The pilot rebate program will be open to residents of Macedon Ranges Shire, and will assist residents in being able to access affordable reusable items, which will in turn reduce long-term costs associated with waste disposal.
The pilot program will run from 1 April 2023 – 30 June 2023, unless allocated fund are exhausted prior. Uptake and interest in the pilot program, along with survey results and community feedback will help inform the ongoing annual reusable rebate program.
Reusable items eligible for the rebate
Reusable cloth nappy and associated products (50% of the purchase, rebate capped up to $100)
- Reusable cloth nappies
- Reusable swim nappies
- Reusable cloth wipes
- Reusable wet bags (for storage of used nappies)
- Reusable nappy liners
- Reusable nursing pads
Sanitary and incontinence products (up to 50% of the purchase, rebate capped at up to $50)
- Reusable period underwear
- Reusable cloth pads
- Reusable menstrual cups
- Reusable incontinence underwear
- Reusable incontinence pads.
Terms and conditions
- One rebate per person.
- Person claiming the rebate must be over 18 years old.
- Maximum of two rebates per household can be claimed.
- Must be a resident of Macedon Ranges Shire Council. Proof of residency must be supplied. (For example driver’s license, rates notice, utility bill).
- Actual proof of purchase invoice must be supplied with the claim form. Proof of purchase must include your name, business name and ABN, date of purchase, cost and name of the items.
- If you are claiming multiple items please upload all receipt files together.
- Secondhand items are not eligible in this round of the rebate program.
- Items must have been purchased within last the 6 months.
- Once your rebate application has been processed and approved, you will be notified and the funds will be deposited into the bank account within 30 days. No cash will be provided.
- Rebate program ends on Friday 30 June 2023 (unless the funds are exhausted sooner.)