Fines and offences


If you don’t obey the law, don’t comply with permit conditions, or if you fail to comply with a Notice to Comply or Warning Notice within the specified time, you are guilty of an offence and are liable to be issued with an Infringement Notice.

Refer to page 47 of Council's Community Local Law 2023(PDF, 2MB) for a list of penalties fixed for infringement notice purposes, per individual and corporation. Note: one penalty unit for Local Laws offences is currently $192.31 as set by the State Government of Victoria for the 2023-2024 financial year.

Pay my infringement

When must payment be made?

Within 42 days from the issue date.

How can payment be made?

In person

At one of Council’s Customer Service Centres.  EFTPOS available, major credit cards accepted.

By mail

To Macedon Ranges Shire Council, PO Box 151, KYNETON VIC 3444.  Cheques are to be made payable to Macedon Ranges Shire Council.  Payment must reach Council no later than the due date.


You can pay the following infringements online with Visa or Mastercard:

Appealing an infringement

If you believe there is a good reason for you not to pay a fine, you can apply for an internal review, before the infringement due date.

Reasons that are not valid

We do not consider the following grounds valid reasons for the withdrawal of a fine:

  • being new to, or unfamiliar with the Macedon Ranges
  • pulling into a signed restricted area to answer a phone
  • appointments or meetings running overtime
  • not noticing or misreading a parking sign
  • being unaware of which vehicles can use Loading Zones or Permit Zones
  • running out of petrol, or experiencing vehicle issues that did not require repair/towing
  • not receiving a renewal notice
  • not receiving a warning letter, notice or direction before the infringement
  • not being aware of legislation
  • running late to drop children off at school
  • forgetting to register an animal
  • being unaware that animal registration is a requirement
  • believing that because an animal was registered with a microchipping company it is also registered with Council

Reasons we will consider

Infringement legislation provides the following five review categories.

Special circumstances

Special circumstances apply where the parking offender is homeless, has a mental or intellectual disability, is addicted to drugs or alcohol, or suffers from a condition which results in the person being unable to understand the offending conduct, unable to control the conduct or family violence.

If you select this ground of review, you must include official letters of support or other documentation from treatment providers such as medical practitioners, social workers or drug and alcohol counsellors.

Contrary to law

Contrary to law applies when you believe no parking offence took place. You will need to provide details about why you believe the decision to issue the infringement notice is unlawful.

An example of this is receiving a notice for parking in a loading zone on a Saturday when the zone rules apply Monday to Friday.

Exceptional circumstances

Exceptional circumstances include unforeseeable or unpreventable circumstances where the offender was not able to prevent the offence from occurring.  It also includes a medical emergency, an injury/illness posing an immediate risk to a person's life or long-term health, parking to avoid a collision or hazard and a vehicle breakdown where the vehicle was towed/repaired.

We have the authority to decide whether your situation counts as exceptional or not. You must prove the situation was serious and beyond your control. You need to provide supporting evidence (e.g. doctors or ambulance report, mechanics report).

Mistake of identity

Mistake of identity applies when you were not the driver and did not commit the offence, for example, you were not in the location or the wrong registration was recorded.

If you were not the driver who committed the offence, you need to nominate who was driving the vehicle.

Person unaware

There are circumstances where a person is unaware of the infringement notice having been served because of a change in address or that you were interstate or overseas at the time the notice was served. An example of this is you didn’t receive the fine because you changed your address with VicRoads around the same time you incurred the fine.

Apply for an internal review

You can only request one review of your infringement notice, according to the Infringement Act 2006.

To request an internal review, complete the internal review request form and submit before the infringement due date.

Alternatively, you can download and print an internal review request form(DOCX, 160KB) / internal review request form(PDF, 64KB) and post it to Macedon Ranges Shire Council, PO BOX 151, Kyneton VIC 3444, or email or visit one of our Customer Service Centres.

Nominate another driver

We issue parking infringement notices to the registered owner of the vehicle, as per the registration details held by VicRoads.

If you were not the driver at the time of a parking offence, nominate the driver(DOCX, 159KB) / nominate the driver(PDF, 78KB) by completing and returning a signed nomination form.

You can post this form to Macedon Ranges Shire Council, PO BOX 151, Kyneton VIC 3444, or email or visit one of our Customer Service Centres.

Consent for an internal review

If another person is acting on your behalf and applying for an internal review of an infringement you will need to complete a consent form(DOCX, 151KB) / consent form(PDF, 53KB).

You can mail this form to Macedon Ranges Shire Council, PO BOX 151, Kyneton VIC 3444, or email or visit one of our Customer Service Centres.

Payment plan or extension of time

An infringement payment plan gives you the opportunity to pay for infringements in manageable amounts at fortnightly payment intervals. 

If you have been served with an infringement notice you may apply to pay the infringement penalty (and any prescribed costs) through a payment plan or extension of time for payment.

We may consider approving an infringement payment plan or an extension of time where you can show that full payment by the due date may cause financial hardship.

Sufficient information will need to be provided to support the infringement payment plan application so that we may make an accurate assessment of your claim.

In some circumstances we must offer you an infringement payment plan if you make an application.

These circumstances are where you are the holder of a valid:

  • Centrelink Health Care Card (the card must be produced to verify the claim)

  • Pensioner Concession Card (the card must be produced to verify the claim)

  • Department of Veteran Affairs Concession Card (the card must be produced to verify the claim)

Your payment plan or extension of time application(DOCX, 160KB) / payment plan or extension of time application(PDF, 76KB) must be made before the infringement due date, in writing, to: Macedon Ranges Shire Council, PO BOX 151, Kyneton VIC 3444, or email or visit one of our Customer Service Centres.