Road repairs and maintenance

The total length of our road network is more than 1,700km.

Council and VicRoads share the responsibility for road maintenance within the Macedon Ranges.

Before you can report a road hazard, you must find out who is responsible for the road maintenance (see below).

Who is responsible for different types of road?

Arterial (Main) roads

VicRoads is responsible for arterial (also known as Main) roads, highways and freeways. These roads are shown in yellow and orange in Google Maps.

The following map helps to highlight roads that are managed by VicRoads (highlighted in green) and other main roads that are managed by Council.

Map-VicRoads-declared-roads.jpg(JPG, 881KB)

VicRoads also has maps and a register of public roads that it maintains available on their website.


Local roads

Council is responsible for the white roads on Google Maps, if those roads appear on Council's Public Roads Register. 

White roads shown on Google maps that are not on the Public Roads Register may be:

  • fire access tracks
  • access for a small number of residents
  • maintained by another road authority
  • completely unmaintained tracks that are unsafe to travel on, or
  • cross onto private property and not for general public access.

If you have any questions in regard to the status of a road, please contact Council.

View Council's Public Road Register.

Report an issue to Council

We undertake road maintenance works to ensure the road network is maintained to standards suitable for all users.

Unsealed roads are inspected regularly and faults are scheduled for repair. Sealed road maintenance works are completed as required.

Urgent requests

To report an urgent issue that poses a public safety risk, (e.g. a fallen tree blocking a road) and requires an immediate response, call Customer Service on (03) 5422 0333 (24 hours a day, seven days week).

Non-urgent requests

Call our customer service team on (03) 5422 0333 during business hours, or report it online 

Report an issue to VicRoads

To report issues or hazards on arterial or main roads, call VicRoads on 13 11 70 or submit an online request to VicRoads

Public Roads Register

If you wish Council to consider a section of road to be included on the Public Roads Register and maintained, a written request outlining your reasons for inclusion should be addressed to the Public Road Committee and emailed to or posted to PO Box 151, Kyneton VIC 3444. 

To help with your application, read the Public Roads Procedure. This outlines the criteria, procedure for determining and management of public roads.