Nature strips

A nature strip or roadside verge is the strip of land between your property boundary and the adjacent roadway.

Nature strips form part of the road reserve and may include footpaths, street furniture, trees and vegetation. They add to the ambience and amenity of the area and provide a natural setting.

They are also a space for Council and other authorities to house infrastructure such as water, sewer, gas, electricity, telecommunications and drainage pipes.

Maintaining your nature strip

You should maintain your nature strip by regular mowing, edging turf, weeding and picking up litter. Council does not carry out maintenance of residential nature strips. 

You will need permission from Council if you are intending to undertake any works on your nature strip such as:

  • constructing a new driveway
  • excavation works and building construction
  • temporary storage of materials

Unapproved works or alterations to the nature strip may result in limiting access and/or causing damage. 

Most works undertaken on the nature strip/roadside verge (other than Council tree planting) generally require an Asset Protection Permit.

See policy section below for alternative options to traditional grassed nature strips.

Nature Strip Policy

You may have an alternative to a grassed nature strip without the need to apply for a permit, provided it meets the Nature Strip Landscaping Policy

The requirements are set out in the policy and explained in the accompanying guidelines(PDF, 574KB). A suggested plant list(PDF, 645KB) is also available. 

Council recognises nature strips play an important role in the aesthetics, environmental and social health of the towns and villages within our shire.

This policy acknowledges the impacts of climate change and allows property owners alternative, low-maintenance approaches to the traditional grassed nature strip that are in keeping with our shire's natural environment.

Report an issue

If there is an issue with a nature strip such as holes, trees requiring inspection or the need for utility service works, you can report an issue online or call (03) 5422 0333.