Youth events & MITS
Music in the Sticks (MITS) is for young people in the Macedon Ranges Shire aged 14 to 25 years with an interest in the music industry. It has been running for over 15 years and provides skills and experience in a range of areas such as:
- event management
- sound and lighting
- photography and film
- publicity and management
- live and studio recording
- sound production
The group meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month (except school and public holidays) at the Woodend Community Centre from 4.30pm-6pm. Food and drinks provided.
The MITS crew are currently recruiting new members. Contact (03) 5422 0333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Coming up! Events and gigs...
Upcoming events will be listed below as details become available.
2022 Battle of the Bands - Apply now
Music in the Sticks will host the 2022 Battle of the Bands at the Kyneton Town Hall on Friday 29 July. The event will showcase the local young talent within our community, and provide the young people within our FReeZA program a valuable opportunity to learn new skills and gain experience within the sector by using industry standard equipment in a live scenario.
- All band members must be between 12 and 25 years of age at the date the application is submitted.
- Acts must contain members who live, work, recreate or study in the Macedon Ranges. Only acts whose members fall into these categories will be eligible to compete in the event. Artists will be selected by the Macedon Ranges Music in the Sticks Crew.
- No more than half of any bands’ members can play in any other band performing at the event. Solo and duo artists are exempt.
- All acts must have at least one member in attendance at the pre-event meeting. The meeting will occur at the Kyneton Town Hall on Monday 11 July between 4.30pm and 5.30pm.
- Preference will be given to artists who have not previously competed in a Battle of the Bands event. Artists with stronger connections to the shire will be seen upon favourably. I.e., artists who live in the shire will be considered over artists who visit the shire for recreational purposes. Solo artists, duos and bands will be eligible to participate.
There will be two prizes awarded on the night:
- The Judges Prize will be awarded to the artist who receives the highest score from the judging panel. This prize will be a merchandise pack valued at $500 allowing the winner to print customised t-shirts and stickers to help support and the promotion of their music.
- The People’s Choice Prize will be awarded to the artist who draws the largest crowd, which will be measured through ticket sales and on the door. This will be a $200 voucher for Manny’s/Store DJ, a leading music retailer in Australia. The judging panel will consist of two community members who are prominent in the local music scene, as well as a young person and a representative from Council.
A soundboard recording of each artist will be taken during the event. These recordings can be provided to the artists upon request, and will also be used to facilitate future skills building/training exercises for MITS participants.
Applications for artists to participate in the event are open until 30 June.
To apply, fill out an online application, or download and print an application form and email to email@example.com
If you have any questions, please call (03) 5422 0333.