Questions about immunisation

What do I need to bring to an immunisation session?

Please bring your child’s green health records book and your Medicare card if you have one. 

Do I need to make a booking?

Bookings are now available via CIRV (Central Immunisation Records Victoria) but are not required and walk-ins will still be welcome however, priority will be given to those with bookings.

For your first time making a booking you will need to create a CIRV account.

Why Should I get Vaccinated?

Immunisation helps protects children and adults against harmful infections by using the body’s natural defence mechanism – the immune response – to build resistance to specific infections. 

Immunisation also helps you stay healthy by preventing serious diseases in the first place.

Who administers the vaccinations?

Immunisations are given by registered nurses who have extensive training in administering immunisations.

How long does immunisation take?

You can attend any time during the session times, however please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to session end time to allow for administrative processing and vaccination. Also, it is recommended you stay 15 minutes after the vaccine to ensure you or your child leaves in good health. 

Is my child too unwell to immunise?

There are very few medical reasons to delay immunisation. Immunisation should only be postponed if your child is very unwell with a high fever (at or above 38.5°C). 

Babies and children with minor coughs and colds without fever, or those receiving antibiotics in the recovery phase of an acute illness can all be immunised safely and effectively. 

If in any doubt, contact us on (03) 5422 0333 before delaying immunisation.

Does Council provide Covid-19 Vaccines?

No, Council is not a COVID-19 vaccination provider. Please visit your GP or use the Vaccine Clinic Finder for locations.

Does Council provide travel vaccinations?

No. If you are travelling outside of Australia, please visit your GP at least one month prior to travel to get advice on vaccination for you and your children. 

You can find more information on the Better Health Channel website or the Smart Traveller website.

How can I report an adverse event after an Immunisation?

SAFEVIC is the vaccine safety surveillance service in Victoria for reporting any significant Adverse events following immunisation. They are a public health partnership initiative of the Victorian Immunisation Program funded by the Department of Health (DH).