Kyneton Saleyards history
On 28 April 2010 the Agriculture Minister, Joe Helper, visited the Saleyards and unveiled a plaque commemorating 150 years of operations.
The Saleyards are an asset to the township of Kyneton and make a significant contribution to the Macedon Ranges economy, generating around $10 million annually.
Improvement and upgrades to the Saleyards over the years have included:
- construction of the auctioneers’ walkway
- installation of selling pen gates
- upgrades to the water supply
- relocation of the water standpipe from Beauchamp Street to a site adjacent to the sheep yards
- installation of modern truck wash facilities
- installation of modern sheep ramps.
The Saleyards has changed locations at least 4 times. Prior to 1964, they were located where the Kyneton Secondary College now stands, and previously on the old John Brown Hosiery site.