Improvements to Hanging Rock funded by Council and state and federal governments are well underway.
The projects will upgrade the ageing infrastructure at Hanging Rock and enhance the overall visitor experience at this popular natural attraction.
Work is underway on several environmental initiatives that focus on conserving and enhancing Hanging Rock Reserve and the East Paddock.
Funding for this project includes:
- $2 million from Regional Development Australia
- More than $2 million from Council ($1.038 million of which is in-kind land and project management)
- $30,000 from the Kyneton and Hanging Rock Racing Club
- $21,000 from the Department of Environment Land Water and Planning.
East picnic ground shelters
The construction of two new picnic shelters with toilets, barbecues, seating and car parking in the East Paddock has been completed.
The shelters are part of a long term vision to provide facilities to encourage picnicking and events in the East Paddock and reduce pressure on areas near the rock.
Landscaping works and the planting of more than 1,500 trees are underway to provide increased habitat for wildlife and contribute to conserving biodiversity as part of Council’s Environment Management Plan for Hanging Rock.
Council will also undertake landscaping works at the viewing mound and small amphitheatre.
Power and lighting
Power supply to the East Paddock as well as lighting, water and power distribution infrastructure have now been installed.
Lighting improvements and electrical upgrades to the main reserve have also been completed.
Now in its third year, this four year agreement ($250,000 per annum) between Council and the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) will deliver upgrades to visitor facilities at Hanging Rock. The funding is being used for toilet and building refurbishments, road and path upgrades, and environmental works.
Works completed in the first two years of the agreement include:
- Resurfacing of roads behind the Discovery Centre and to the main shelter car park
- Installation of rabbit proofing under buildings and other control works
- Refurbishment of the main toilet block, incorporating a new accessible toilet and a family friendly toilet
- Refurbishment of the toilet block near the crossing into the race track
- Environmental works such as rabbit and weed control and tree maintenance.
Activities now underway in third year of the agreement include:
- Implementation of Environmental Management Plan actions and tree works
- Path works
- Two toilet block refurbishments, one of which has been completed.
The Environmental Management Plan and Fire Management Plan for Hanging Rock was completed and endorsed by Council in December 2015.
The plan provides direction and priorities for environmental and conservation works at the Reserve including the East Paddock.
The development of the plan involved extensive consultation with local residents, relevant stakeholders, community groups, State Government, Council and feedback from the wider community. Implementation of the plan is underway.