The new four bin collection service started on Monday 3 February.
Major changes in the recycling industry have impacted the way waste and recyclables are collected and processed in Australia.
We’ve been working hard to find innovative solutions and we are transitioning towards a more sustainable and responsible collection service. We know our community is committed to reducing waste and we thank you for your assistance while we work to implement solutions.
The service changes include a four bin kerbside collection service that includes glass-only bins, recycling bins, FOGO (food organics garden organics - it was previously called your garden bin), and rubbish/general waste bins.
A FOGO collection coupled with a recycling service has been proven to reduce waste going into the rubbish/general waste bin. We see this as a vital step in reducing the amount of waste going to landfill.
Council decided there would be no opt out option for the new services as the long term objective and priority of the changes is to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Your bin collection day may have changed following the start of the new services. An information pack, including your new waste collection calendar, was delivered to all kerbside collection customers. If you haven't received this, or have misplaced your information pack, please call our customer service team on (03) 5422 0333.
You can also look up your collection day and/or download a collection calendar online.
If you haven’t received your glass-only bin yet, it’s on its way and should be delivered by mid-February. If you haven’t received one by 20 Feb, please call us. In the meantime, please continue to keep glass out of your recycling bin and use the public place glass-only bins.
If you have received your glass-only bin, please start using it immediately.
If you are part of the first stage of our FOGO service and don’t have a FOGO bin (lime green lid) yet, please call us on (03) 5422 0333.
If you already had a garden bin, this will have become your FOGO bin that will be collected each week and your general waste/rubbish bin (red lid) will be collected fortnightly.
There is no increase to the waste service charge in your rates this financial year. Waste service charges will be recalculated approaching the new financial year. This will be in line with changes to the recycling market and EPA landfill levies.
- Your new 140 litre glass-only bin will be delivered to all residents and businesses by mid-February 2020. If you haven’t received one by 20 Feb, please call us. In the meantime, please continue to keep glass out of your recycling bin and use the public place glass-only bins.
- Collection will be every four weeks, with collection services starting during February and March 2020.
- Commercial properties that require multiple glass-only bins can request more by contacting our customer service team on (03) 5422 0333.
- The FOGO (Food Organics Garden Organics) service began on 3 February. The service will be phased in and available shire-wide by 2025.
- If your property is included in the first stage of the FOGO roll out, you will have received a letter in December to notify you.
- If your property is not included in the first stage, you will be notified when this service becomes available. Stage 2: If you live in Bullengarook, Monegeetta, Newham, Tylden and Malmsbury, the service will reach you in 2020/2021 financial year. Stage 3: The service will expand to all remaining areas of the shire in 2023/2024 financial year.
- The new full FOGO service will allow you to place all food waste, including meat and bones, into your FOGO bin.
- Kitchen caddies, caddy liners, and information packs have been delivered. If you haven't received your caddy/liners, please call us on (03) 5422 0333.
- If you already have a 240 litre garden waste bin (lime green lid), this becomes your FOGO bin.
- Collection of FOGO bins will be weekly, with collection services starting from the start of February 2020.
- Commercial properties that that require multiple FOGO bins can request more by contacting our customer service team on (03) 5422 0333.
- Once your weekly FOGO collection starts, your rubbish/general waste bin will move to being collected fortnightly.
- Collection of your rubbish/general waste bin will occur on the opposite fortnight to your recycling bin.
- If you are outside of the initial FOGO areas, your rubbish/general waste bin collection will remain weekly until FOGO reaches you.
- Property owners who wish to upgrade to a larger (240L) rubbish/general waste bin can do so for a fee from March 2020. However we encourage the use of the four bin system. More information about how to upgrade will be published on this website soon.
- If you, or someone living with you, has a disability or medical condition resulting in the need for extra rubbish bin capacity, a concession rate may be offered. For more information call our customer service team on (03) 5422 0333 or see Choosing a larger bin