If you want to build a pergola, verandah, shed or a carport on your property, you may need to apply for a building permit.
You must apply for a building permit to construct a garage or a carport if it is attached to another building or has a floor area more than 10m2.
A pergola is an unroofed open structure that is typically attached to a house.
You will need to apply for a building permit if your pergola is:
- greater than 20m2 in area
- attached to the front wall of a building
- more than 3.6m high
You will need to apply for a building permit to construct a shed if it is:
- more than 10m2 or more than 3 metres high (or 2.4 metres if located within 1 metre of a boundary)
- attached to a building or dwelling on the property
- constructed over an easement
- attached to the front wall of a single dwelling on the property.
You must apply for a building permit to construct a verandah of any kind.