Feedback and consultation


There are a number of ways that you can have your say and be involved in Council's decision-making processes. 

Contact your councillor

You are represented by Councillors at Council meetings. Councillors are available to discuss issues with you at Council meetings, by appointment and can be contacted via phone or email.

Report an issue

You can report an issue online, or by contacting us via phone, email or post.

Have your say on individual projects

Comment on individual projects that are open for consultation. View our consultation framework to understand how we consult on projects across the shire.

Question time

Attend a Council meeting and ask a question.

Submit a petition or joint letter

When you submit a petition or joint letter to Council:

  • It must clearly state the action Council is asked to undertake and every page must have the wording of the whole of the petition or request.
  • The wording of a petition should read ‘We the undersigned, residents and ratepayers of Macedon Ranges Shire formally request Council to...’
  • It must be in a legible and permanent form of writing, typing or printing.
  • It must not be defamatory, indecent, abusive or objectionable in language or substance.
  • It must not relate to a matter beyond the powers of Council.
  • Any signature appearing on a page that does not bear the wording of the whole of the petition or joint letter will not be considered by Council.
  • Every page must be a single piece of paper and must not be pasted, stapled, pinned or otherwise attached to any other piece of paper other than another page of the petition.
  • A motion may be proposed to accept the petition or joint letter and have it 'lay on the table' until the next Ordinary Council meeting or a future meeting as specified by Council (where a report on the matter will be presented), or a motion may be proposed to accept and note the petition or joint letter and resolve to deal with it earlier or refer it to another process. 

You can come to the Council meeting to hear firsthand the resolution of your petition.

For more information, see:Governance Rules(PDF, 4MB)

Customer Service Charter

The Customer Service Charter establishes the fundamental service standards that you can expect when dealing with us.

Complaints Handling Policy

Our Complaints Handling Policy has been developed with reference to the Victorian Ombudsman’s Councils and complaints—A good practice guide, February 2015.

For more information on how to make a complaint, visit the Victorian Ombudsman.

Protected Disclosure

The Protected Disclosures Act 2012 (the Act) replaces the former Whistleblower's Protection Act 2001.

What is 'protected disclosure'?

It is a complaint made by employees or members of the public of corrupt or improper behaviour by a Councillor, Council officers or the organisation.

A complaint can be made:

  • verbally—in person or over the phone
  • in writing by completing the Protected Disclosure form(PDF, 154KB) and submitting either a hard copy or electronically
  • anonymously
  • by an individual or a group of individuals.

We can only address disclosures that relate to our organisation and our staff. We will not tolerate corrupt or improper behaviour and will take all reasonable steps to protect those who come forward to disclose such behaviour from possible reprisals. Natural justice will also be given to the subject of the disclosure.

Complaints against Councillors must be reported to the Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission (IBAC).

Our Annual Report contains any disclosures that Council may have received in the previous financial year.

How do you make a protected disclosure?

Protected disclosures are referred to our Protected Disclosures Coordinator who will ensure all information remains confidential. Where necessary, arrangements can be made for appropriate welfare support for the person making a protected disclosure.

Disclosures can be:

What happens next?

Once it is determined that a complaint is a protected disclosure, we will investigate the matter. We will keep the complainant informed of all actions taken and any time frames that may apply.

Protected disclosure procedures(PDF, 732KB) are designed to complement normal methods of submitting complaints to us, and to support existing communication channels between supervisors and employees.

For further information on the new legislation or any other matters relating to protected disclosure, please refer to the IBAC Guidelines.