What is the future for Romsey?
Published on 07 February 2019
What should Romsey look like in the future? This is the question Council asked residents last year and which has resulted in the Romsey Issues and Opportunities Paper, which is now available on Council’s website.
The paper is the first step in Council’s work towards understanding what the future of Romsey might look like and plan the long term future of Romsey. Residents, community groups, business and service authorities such as VicRoads all provided feedback which informed the paper.
Key findings included:
- The creek corridor is a valued asset within the Romsey community
- Greater housing diversity within the town is required
- The current utilities and services such as telecommunications and drainage within Romsey need substantial upgrades
- Improvements are needed to the number of public transport services along with better integration with train services.
- Footpath and shared path infrastructure needs to be improved
- There is significant support from the community for Romsey to have both a secondary school and aquatic facility.
The current strategic plan for Romsey is the Romsey Outline Development Plan, which was adopted by Council in 2009. This plan sets a vision for the town to the year 2021. The new planning work will enable Council to look beyond 2021 and carefully plan for the long term future of Romsey.
Some of the issues identified in the paper include the lack of pedestrian crossing points over Melbourne-Lancefield Road, localised flooding issues and limited public access to sections of the Five Mile Creek corridor.
Opportunities include better integrating and connecting Romsey’s numerous heritage sites and open space areas with shared paths or heritage trails, and a potential shared path link between Romsey and Clarkefield.
You can read the paper and consultation report, and sign up for regular updates on the project, at Romsey Futures.
A grant from the Victorian Planning Authority has helped to fund the next steps in the process, which will be development of an emerging options paper and a new township structure plan.
For more information contact Strategic Planner Evan Krausgrill on (03) 5422 0333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org