If you want to place furniture and accessories outside your premises on Council land or footpaths you will require a Street Furniture permit. Public safety, amenity, and vision for motorists and cyclists must be taken into consideration. See Section 5 of Council's Local Law No. 10(DOCX, 2MB) / Local Law No. 10(PDF, 1MB) and Vision Australia Policy (formerly Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind).
Shopkeepers, business owners and organisations must:
- Place items outside the shop front once a permit is obtained from Council.
- Place items in the Trading Zone area, not against shop fronts.
- Leave a minimum of 1.8 metres of clear walkway for pedestrians from the shop front.
- Leave a minimum distance of 600mm from the trading zone and the kerb.
- Have, and submit proof of, a Public Liability insurance policy of no less than $10 million.
- Leave a minimum height clearance of 2.5 metres above the footpath.
- Submit a detailed map of where items are to be displayed.
- Renew their permit annually.
Check our Permit Fees page for applicable fees.
Apply for or renew a permit
To apply for a permit, complete a Street Furniture Permit application form(DOCX, 268KB) / Street Furniture Permit application form(PDF, 273KB) and return it to Council in person or by mail, along with a copy of your current public liability insurance.
To renew a permit, fill out the renewal form which is sent to you, and return it to Council along with a copy of your current public liability insurance.
You can pay your renewal fee:
- Online: Pay online by credit card (Visa or Mastercard only)
- In person: Council Service Centres by cash, cheque or EFTPOS
- By post: Post your renewal notice and credit card details or cheque/money order (made payable to Macedon Ranges Shire Council) to PO Box 151, Kyneton, VIC 3444.