Roadside and Footpath Trading


If you run a business and would like to place goods, signs and/or outdoor eating areas on Council land or footpaths, you must apply for a Roadside and Footpath Trading Permit.

Your responsibilities

Public safety, amenity, and vision for motorists and cyclists must be taken into consideration. See Section 5 of Council's Local Law No. 10(DOCX, 2MB) / Local Law No. 10(PDF, 1MB) and Vision Australia Policy 

You must:

  1. Have and submit proof of a current public liability insurance policy of no less than $10 million.
  2. Submit a detailed map of where items are to be displayed.
  3. Comply with the permit requirements
  4. Comply with the requirements set out in the Roadside and Footpath Trading Policy and all other Council Policies
  5. Comply with any other requirements set out in the Local Law
  6. Renew your permit annually.

Failure to adhere to the above requirements may result in permit refusal or revocation.

Permit types and fees

Check our Permit Fees page for applicable fees. 

Apply for or renew a permit

To apply for a permit, complete a Roadside and Footpath Trading application form(DOCX, 263KB) / Roadside and Footpath Trading application form(PDF, 273KB) and return it to Council in person or by mail, along with a copy of your current public liability insurance.

To renew a permit, fill out the renewal form which is sent to you, and return it to Council along with a copy of your current public liability insurance. 

You can pay your renewal fee:

  • Online: Pay online by credit card (Visa or Mastercard only)
  • In person: Council Service Centres by cash, cheque or EFTPOS
  • By post: Post your renewal notice and credit card details or cheque/money order (made payable to Macedon Ranges Shire Council) to PO Box 151, Kyneton, VIC 3444.