Roads and drains


Not all roads in our shire are Council roads. VicRoads is responsible for some of the roads.  For information on roads maintained by VicRoads, call 131 171 or visit VicRoads

Works on roads

If you want to do any works on a road, including fencing off, erecting scaffolding, using a mobile crane, make a hole, fill a hole, plant anything on or remove anything from a road, including any signs or structures, you may need to apply for a permit from Council.

Some of these activities require a Council local laws permit and others requires specific written consent under relevant legislation. A written consent may be subject to one or more conditions that must be complied with.

Council’s Local Law No. 10 stipulates rules and conditions to be met when determining whether to grant a permit.  These will differ depending on the type of work you want to carry out.

If you carry out works without a permit, your equipment may be impounded and you may be fined.

Contact us on (03) 5422 0333 for more information.

Report road maintenance issues

Report road maintenance issues to us on (03) 5422 0333.


Council’s drains are for collecting rainwater and you must not place any other substance, material or liquid into them.  You must not place anything in front of or over drains that could cause obstruction to drains.  You must not damage or destroy a drain.  If you have an open drain on your land, you are responsible for its maintenance.

You must apply for a permit from Council if you want to  do any works on a Council drain or construct anything which may obstruct a drain.  If you do not obtain a permit you may be fined.

Report drain issues

Report damaged, blocked or other maintenance issues to us on (03) 5422 0333.