There are three botanic gardens in the Macedon Ranges, each with their own special features and history.
The gardens are located to the east of the Council offices, north of Robertson Street. Pedestrian access is from the bridges over Jacksons Creek on both the Western and Eastern sides of the Gardens. No vehicles are permitted.
The plan for the gardens is based on the former sister city relationship between Gisborne New Zealand and Gisborne Australia.
The gardens are open all year and there are toilet and picnic facilities in adjacent parklands. The gardens are a work in progress and require ongoing funding for completion.
In 2017, Council completed a five year master plan for the Gisborne Botanic Gardens, which seeks to attract more visitors and expand the gardens' diverse plant collection and infrastructure. See: Gisborne Botanic Gardens Master Plan.
The southeast corner of the gardens was the first area to be planted in 1992. This area was planted with Cabbage Trees (Cordyline australis) and New Zealand Flax (Phormium tenax). In 1993 a major flood swept away a lot of these plantings.
In 1994, more landscaping was completed including the planting of screening and woodland areas.
Today the garden has representatives of many New Zealand genera, Hebe and Pittosporum to name a few.
The Maori taonga or treasure called ‘Tanemahuta’ or Lord of the Forest was installed in 1996. He was carved by Derek Lardelli in Gisborne, New Zealand by a piece of whalebone and greenstone representing the water and the land of Aotearoa (New Zealand). Unfortunately the head of the ‘Tanemahuta’ was stolen around the 12 September 2002. Its replacement was created by Simon Lardelli who is the nephew of Derek. Council is reviewing options with regard to its future.
In December 1999, a sculpture entitled ‘Raincatcher’ by sculptor Anton Hasell was installed in the Australian section of the Gardens in New Zealand. ‘Raincatcher’ was a way of saying Thank you for Tanemahuta.
The Friends of Gisborne Botanic Gardens Inc was formed in early 1995. People with an interest in the preservation, maintenance and improvement of the gardens are encouraged to join the Friends. If you would like to know more email email@example.com.
The gardens dating back to 1858 are bounded by Clowes, Mollison and Powlett Streets in Kyneton. They have large magnificent specimen trees with 17 listed by the National Trust of Australia.
Plant collections include Kniphofia (Red Hot Poker) and Quercus( Oak).
Today the gardens have many types trees some of which are listed below:
- Chilean Wine Palm (Jubaea chilensis)
- Blue Atlas Cedar (Cedrus atlantica f.glauca)
- Himalayan Oak (Quercus leucotrichophora)
- Sierra Redwood (Sequoiadendron giganteum)
The Kyneton Botanic Gardens has recently been reviewed with a master plan developed for its ongoing upgrade and development.
The master plan adopted by Council in 2011 can be viewed here.
Features include the use of bluestone throughout on the garden walls and the main gate. The garden also has a rotunda, a fairy ring of trees, a drinking fountain dating back from 1902 and a modern sculpture called ‘Fetching Them In’ depicting a sheepdog rounding up sheep.
There is an old gardener’s cottage that has been restored and a riverside walk along the Campaspe River.
The Friends of Kyneton Botanic Gardens was formed in early 2005 with the aim to raise awareness of the gardens and their conservation.
Established in the 1850s, the Malmsbury Botanic Gardens is central to Malmsbury off the Calder highway on the way from Melbourne to Bendigo. They are one of Victoria’s earliest regional botanic gardens encompassing a wonderful collection of trees and shrubs along with a few surprises from its rich past.
Plant collection include Arbutus (Strawberry Tree)
Plants and trees:
- Bunya Bunya (Araucaria bidwillii)
- Californian Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens)
- Sugar Gum (Eucalyptus cladocalyx)
The central focal point of the gardens is the Ornamental Lake with the formed island at their centre. The fountain was built in the 1930s from bluestone salvaged from a nearby demolished mill. Both the fountain and the lake edges have been restored in recent years and the Dutch Elms planted at the front of the lake were planted as a memorial to soldiers of the first World War, 1914–18.
The Arboretum was originally planted in 2003 comprising mainly endemic vegetation of the Malmsbury area. It links the botanic gardens to the local sporting oval via a path travelling beneath the bridge which crosses the Coliban River.
Bookings can be taken to hold a wedding ceremony in all our botanic gardens.
For more information contact Council’s Recreation Administration Officer on (03) 5422 0333.