Council aims to ensure that older residents can be as independent and active as possible while participating fully in their local community.
We have a Positive Ageing Plan, and are a member of the World Health Organisation's Global Network for Age-friendly Communities.
We are dedicated to ensuring our community is supportive and inclusive of people as they age. To do this, we:
- coordinate healthy ageing programs and activities
- support Senior Citizens, U3As and other groups and coordinate Council’s Seniors Festival program
- work within Council and the community to advocate for older residents, and facilitate feedback to Council about what is important to older people
- offer opportunities for volunteers to contribute to the wellbeing, independence and community participation of older people living in the shire
- offer a range of services to assist residents who need support to continue living in their own homes.
“Age-friendly is everybody friendly” as defined by a local Macedon Ranges resident. It involves inclusive participation in social, economic, cultural, spiritual and civic affairs, not just physical activity (World Health Organisation).
Age-friendly communities encourage active and positive ageing; they recognise the great diversity of our older population, promote inclusion of older people and respect their decisions and lifestyle choices. They enhance quality of life for people as they age, and benefit the whole community.
Find out more about the World Health Organisation’s Age-friendly Communities Program.
We have developed a Positive Ageing Plan 2016-2020 using research and community consultation. This plan outlines four key areas of focus based on community feedback to support older people in our community:
- Purpose, meaning, learning and growth
- Active and healthy lifestyles
- Health and social support
- Enabling environments
Sign up to the age-friendly communities eNewsletter to stay up to date with the latest news. For more information contact Rebecca on (03) 5422 0262 or email email@example.com