Since 2012, Macedon Ranges Shire Council has actively worked with the community to reduce violence against women and we are committed to building a community that is respectful and where women can live free from violence, and the fear of violence.
Our Prevention of Violence Against Women Statement of Commitment was endorsed by Council on 25 March 2015. View our statement(DOCX, 57KB) or statement(PDF, 166KB).
The Rural Challenge Gender Equality Leadership Program is a Council-supported project, aiming to promote and normalize gender equality, and eliminate violence against women. We work with CFA brigades and football netball clubs in the Macedon Ranges to support action for gender equality in these organisations. For more information, email Stephen Hiley via firstname.lastname@example.org
The Elephant in the Room is a colourful fiberglass elephant created in Wodonga by a group of women survivors of family violence. The aim of the Elephant in the Room, as the name suggests, is to encourage people to talk about the often hidden issue of family violence. It was on display in various venues in the Macedon Ranges between March and September 2015.
In 2015 we developed an Action Plan for Prevention of Violence Against Women in Emergencies in partnership with emergency management agencies. This was the first plan of its kind at municipal level in Victoria.
In March 2016, four and a half months after the Cobaw-Lancefield fires, the Prevention of Violence Against Women in Emergencies Subcommittee conducted a survey to learn about people's experiences and observations during and after the fires to identify the potentially different ways women and men might be impacted. View the survey results(DOCX, 27KB) or survey results(PDF, 201KB).
Our 2017-2018 Action Plan(DOCX, 64KB) or 2017-2018 Action Plan(PDF, 306KB) identifies a range of multi-agency actions that aim to prevent violence before it occurs in the context of emergencies.
For all emergencies call Victoria Police on triple zero (000)
Listed below are a range of services both locally and statewide to assist women, men and young people who have experienced violence, or are in potentially violent situations.
- Safe steps Family Violence Response Centre: Crisis support line open 24 hours, 7 days. Call 1800 015 188.
- 1800RESPECT: National sexual assault, family violence counselling service open 24 hours, 7 days. Call 1800 737 732.
- After Hours Sexual Assault Crisis Line: Crisis counselling for survivors of both recent and past sexual assault. Call 1800 806 292 (open 5pm weeknights to 9am next day and throughout weekends and public holidays).
- Cobaw Community Health: Counselling and housing support to women and children living in Macedon Ranges who are experiencing family violence. Located at 47 High Street in Kyneton. Call 5421 1666 (business hours only).
- Hospital - Kyneton District Health Service: Call 5422 9900.