Horses and livestock


Are your horses part of your bushfire plan?

Most fires can be managed if they occur on normal days.  Fires that occur on fire danger ratings of severe, extreme and code red are days when fire crews often struggle to contain a fire.

To plan for days when the fire danger rating is high, you can consider relocating your horses to areas that are not prone to bushfire. 

To register to be on Council’s database where you will receive regular email newsletter updates about all things equine in the shire, please contact the Economic Development and Tourism Department on (03) 5421 9616 or

For further information on horses and bushfires, see our factsheet and information on horses and bushfire survival plans.

Registering your property can help identify your animals

A property identification code (PIC) is used to determine where animals are normally housed so authorities can direct animal welfare officers and veterinarians to these locations. 

You can register a PIC with the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport & Resources.

National Equine Database

The National Equine Database (NED) is a secure, free service for equine and pet owners. 

The database links individuals and communities by providing a network that can be called upon in the lead up to forecasted severe weather.  This allows for the relocation of horses and smaller companion animals to a safer place before the extreme weather or event impacts.  Temporary housing, feed and tack donations and other emergency relief are all part of NED.

Register to request help, or to provide a safer haven for animals, before or during an emergency on NED.

Emergency Relief Centres

An emergency relief centre is a designated place to go when there is an emergency that is likely to affect a large number of people. 

Emergency relief centres offer support and information, food, material needs, emergency shelter and, if necessary, temporary accommodation. 

All animals are welcome at relief centres but they must be under the supervision of the owner/carer at all times, and you must bring basic provisions for them. Where possible, they should be contained.

Council will open an emergency relief centre when requested to do so by the agency that is responsible for the emergency. 

For information on where an emergency relief centre is opening, and to keep up to date with any fires in your area, you should use a range of sources including VIC Emergency, ABC radio, CFA’s FireReady app and the CFA's social media channels.


Protecting the livestock on your property from bushfires requires that you prepare and plan well.

For more specific information about livestock please visit the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Training & Transport.