Register your pet

New pet registrations

Your cat or dog must be microchipped and registered with Council by 3 months of age.  

To register your pet, complete the Animal Registration form (available in Word(DOCX, 237KB) and PDF(PDF, 236KB)) and submit it along with proof of microchipping and your concession card (if applicable).

You can submit your form in person at any of Council's customer service centres or post your application form and supporting documentation to PO Box 151, Kyneton VIC 3444.

Discounted registration fee for animals adopted from registered animal shelters

If you adopt a pet from a registered animal shelter anywhere in Victoria, you can register your new pet for only $12.50 for the first year. Proof of adoption should be provided with your registration form.

Renewing your pet registration

Pay your pet registration renewal online

Registration renewals are due by 10 April each year. A renewal form is sent out to owners of registered pets each year before the due date.



Full fee


Full fee with concession*


Discounted fee


Discounted fee with concession*


Working dog


Working dog with concession*


Over 10 years


Over 10 years with concession*



$500 (pensioner discount not applicable)

Menacing or restricted breed

Menacing or restricted breed with concession*


Guard dog

$135.50 (pensioner discount not applicable)

Guide/hearing dog

No charge


Full fee


Full fee with concession*


Reduced fee


Reduced fee with concession*


Over 10 years


Over 10 years with concession*


 Other fees

Replacement tag


Full fee (with or without concession)

Applies if your pet does not fit into one or more of the discounted fee categories outlined above. If you own an animal that has not been microchipped as a result of veterinary advice, you may still be eligible for the reduced fee. Contact us on (03) 5422 0333 for more information.

Discounted fee (with or without concession)

To be eligible, your pet must be microchipped and one or more of the following (proof required):

  • registered with an approved animal organisation such as the Victorian Canine Association or FCC
  • desexed
  • over 10 years old.


*To be eligible for a concession you must provide proof of a current pension card. Health Care cards and student cards are not accepted.

Partial registration fee

For new pet registrations submitted between 1 January and 9 April you may be eligible for a discounted registration fee.

Registration renewals will be charged at the full registration fee.

Greyhounds and registered racing dogs

If you own a greyhound as a pet, normal registration requirements apply. If your greyhound is registered with Greyhound Racing Victoria, it doesn’t need to be registered with the Council.

Note: Owners of registered racing dogs may be required to obtain a planning permit if multiple dogs are kept on a private property. Contact the Council on (03) 5422 0333 to discuss your situation.

Dangerous, menacing or restricted breed dogs

If you own a dog that has been declared dangerous, menacing or restricted breed you must declare this at the time of registration. Heavy penalties apply for owners who fail to declare this information or do not comply with the obligations and responsibilities outlined in the Domestic Animals Act 1994

Change of address or contact details

If you have pets registered with us and you are moving home or your contact details have changed, you need to let us know. Phone us on (03) 5422 0333, email, by mail to PO Box 151, Kyneton VIC 3444 or you can visit any  of our offices to request a change of your details.  Please remember to change your details with Microchips Australia as well.