School & pedestrian crossings
When driving around school zones and approaching school crossings, motorists are reminded to slow down.
The limit in school speed zones is 40km per hour, and all drivers are required by law to stop at children’s crossings when a stop sign is displayed or a pedestrian has stepped onto the crossing.
Motorists who fail to respect these rules can risk a $352 on-the-spot fine and the loss of three demerit points.
School crossings are flagged and manned by supervisors who work in reflective fluorescent uniforms. Crossings operate during peak periods from 8am to 9.30am and 2.30pm to 4pm and are located at:
- Gisborne Primary School, Fisher Street
- St Brigid's Primary School, Aitken Street
- Gisborne Secondary College, Melton Road
- Kyneton Primary School, Baynton Street
- Kyneton Primary School, Simpson Street
- Our Lady of the Holy Rosary, Edgecombe Street
- Kyneton Secondary College, Epping Street
- Sacred Heart College, High Street
- Lancefield Primary School, High Street
- Macedon Primary School, Carrington Street
- Macedon Primary School, Smith Street
- Malmsbury Primary School, Mollison Street
- Mount Macedon Primary School, Mt Macedon Road
- Holy Cross Catholic Primary School, Hamilton Road
- New Gisborne Primary School, Station Street
- Newham Primary School, Rochford Road
- Riddells Creek Primary School, Main Road
- Romsey Primary School, Main Road
- Woodend Primary School, High Street
When driving you must be prepared to stop and give way to any pedestrian at a designated crossing.
If you are a pedestrian, always look and listen for traffic from each direction before crossing a road. You should also wait for drivers to stop before stepping out onto a crossing to ensure that they have seen you.
Visit the VicRoads website for more information about crossing the road safely.