Animals & pets

Animals & pets

Information for pet and livestock owners in the Macedon Ranges, and assistance with a lost, injured or nuisance animals.

In this section...

Dangerous or nuisance animals

What to do if you see wandering pets or livestock, dangerous or barking dogs and information about pest animal control.


Your responsibilities when keeping a pet, including registration, dog poo and barking, dogs off leash and how to surrender an animal you can’t look after.

Injured or dead animals

Report injured or dead animals to us and injured wildlife to Wildlife Victoria. Do not try to help injured animals as they may be unpredictable.

Living with wildlife

What to do if you encounter injured and sick wildlife, including contact details for wildlife rescue agencies and habitat preservation.

Keeping animals & livestock

Find out the breeds and numbers of animals you can keep on your property and what your responsibilities are with fencing and weed control.

Kyneton Saleyards

Sale information for the Kyneton Saleyards, including sale dates and times, stock agents and use of the Kyneton Truckwash.

Lost & found animals

If you lose or find an animal, you need to report it to Council. Impound and boarding fees apply for impounded animals. Warnings and fines may also apply.