Businesses, organisations and individuals wanting to place furniture and accessories outside their premises for business and community use on Council land or footpaths require a Local Law Street Furniture permit. Public safety, amenity, and vision for motorists and cyclists must be taken into consideration; see Local Law No. 10, Section 5 (available in Word(DOCX, 2MB) and PDF(PDF, 1MB)) and Vision Australia Policy (formerly Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind).
Shopkeepers, business owners and organisations must:
- Place items outside the shop front once a permit is obtained from Council.
- Place items in the Trading Zone area, not against shop fronts.
- Leave a minimum of 1.8 metres of clear walkway for pedestrians from the shop front.
- Leave a minimum distance of 600mm from the trading zone and the kerb.
- Have, and submit proof of, a Public Liability insurance policy of no less than $10 million.
- Leave a minimum height clearance of 2.5 metres above the footpath.
- Submit a detailed map of where items are to be displayed.
- Renew their permit annually.
Permit types and fees
Check our Permit Fees page for applicable fees.
Apply for or renew a permit
To apply for a permit, fill in the Street Furniture Permit Application Form (available in Word(DOCX, 265KB) or PDF(PDF, 343KB)) and return it to Council in person or by mail, along with a copy of your current public liability insurance.
To renew a permit, fill out the renewal form which is sent to you, and return it to Council along with a copy of your current public liability insurance. You can pay your renewal fee in the following ways:
Pay online by credit card (Visa or Mastercard only)
Council Service Centres by cash, cheque or EFTPOS
Post your renewal notice and credit card details or cheque/money order (made payable to Macedon Ranges Shire Council) to PO Box 151, Kyneton, VIC 3444.